Fairbanks Police Department - Fairbanks, Alaska
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $23.90 hourly
- Academy Graduate:
- $26.32 hourly
- $29.23 hourly
- Top Pay:
- $36.53 hourly
If you are looking for a challenging and rewarding career with a progressive department located in the beautiful Golden Heart of Alaska, you've come to the right place. The Fairbanks Police Department provides the highest quality police services by working in partnership with the community to improve the quality of life in Fairbanks. We recognize the value and importance of our employees and ensure that all employees are treated equitably and fairly. The Department is committed to providing its members with top notch leadership, training and equipment to perform its mission. Police Officer Recruit (Entry Level, Probationary year) Salary Range: $23.90 hour – $27.78 hour Police Officer (after 1st year probation) Salary Range: $29.23 hour/Step 1 – $36.53 hour/Step 7 Police Officer (Modified Entry) Salary Range: $32.23 hour/Step 3 – $36.53 hour/Step 7 Outstanding Benefits Package
- Work Schedule: 4/10
- Take home patrol car program
- PERS retirement plan (defined contribution based)
- Section 457 (tax deferred) investment plans
- Uniforms and equipment provided
- Uniform cleaning allowance: $65 per month
- $275 annual footwear allowance
- $150 annually for incidental purchases of duty equipment
- APSC certification incentive: $1250/year Intermediate, $2750/year Advanced
- Comprehensive health, dental, visual, audio and life insurance package covering employee and family members Section 125 Plan: $1200 per year. Additional contributions to pay for out of pocket health care expenses, child care, etc. are tax deferred.
- Holidays: 10 days per year
- Personal Leave: 160 hours per year (Years 1-2), 200 hours per year (Years 3-5), 240 hours per year (Over 5 years)
- Shift differential: Swing Shift 5% of base pay, Mid Shift 10% of base pay
- Presentation of duty weapon and badge upon retirement
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: These factors will be the basis for selecting those qualified candidates to be interviewed. Candidates selected for employment must satisfactorily demonstrate possession of these factors during a prescribed probationary period for continued employment. Applicants must successfully complete rigorous pre and post-employment physical, written, polygraph and psychological examinations to be considered for employment; Ability to analyze situations quickly and objectively, to recognize actual and potential dangers and to determine course of action; Ability to read and understand laws, ordinances, rules and regulations; Ability to cope with stressful situations firmly, tactfully and with respect for individual rights; Ability to perform assignments under extreme weather conditions; Ability to communicate clearly, verbally and in writing; Ability to maintain effective working relations with fellow employees and with citizens from varied racial, ethnic or economic backgrounds; Ability to develop skill in the use and care of a variety of firearms and law enforcement equipment; Ability to learn and use investigative techniques and procedures; Ability to learn and properly perform first aid; Ability to observe and remember details; Ability to learn to drive light duty passenger vehicles skillfully and in a proper manner; Ability to obtain and maintain a basic certificate as a certified police officer as issued by the Alaska Police Standards Council within 18 months of employment; physical strength and agility sufficient to perform the work of the class.
- Age: : 21 years minimum
- Education: : High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Experience: : none
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: The person selected for this position should have the following experience and/or training.
Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the date of appointment; and an U. S. Citizen. Applicants must be graduates of an accredited high school or possess a GED equivalent, preferably supplemented by additional college level courses related to criminal justice; Applicants must possess or have the ability to obtain (within eighteen months of employment) a Basic APSC certificate upon completion of the Police Academy and required period of service; preference will be given to applicants who have previously obtained a Basic APSC certificate.