City of Vancouver - Vancouver, Washington
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $4,928.00 monthly
- Top Pay:
- $6,603.00 monthly
The Vancouver Police Department is a professional, progressive and innovative law enforcement agency. We take pride in our roles as an integral part of our community. We strive to be a full service organization that incorporates diverse values and beliefs to be fair, equitable, and responsible for providing quality law enforcement services to our public. Our employees are leaders in problem and crime prevention in our community, our agency and throughout the law enforcement profession. We work in partnership with the community to protect life and property. We enhance the quality of life in our city through proactive problem solving, fair and equitable law enforcement and effective use of resources. We serve the city of Vancouver with courage, strength, integrity, compassion and pride. The Vancouver Police Department strives to be a full service organization with challenging opportunities in police work for individuals who are interested in providing quality law enforcement services to the public. Its officers are charged with protecting life and property through the enforcement of laws and ordinances including the prevention, detection and investigation of crimes and civil infractions and exercising of arresting authority. Although most assignments will be patrol, experienced officers have the opportunity for special assignments in areas such as SWAT, Traffic, Detectives, Canine, Narcotics, Gangs, Mounted Patrol, and Child Abuse. The patrol schedule allows generous days off. Officers work 10 ? hour shifts on a 5/4, 5/4, 5/5 schedule (on/off). Most specialty assignments enjoy a 4/10 schedule with weekends off. Overtime is available but rarely required. Police Officer is a full time, regular, non-exempt union position. This position is covered under the provisions of an agreement between the City and the Vancouver Police Officers Guild.
The ideal candidate must maintain self-discipline and credibility through honest and ethical behavior and must have strong skills and abilities in a wide variety of areas including communication, creative problem solving, community service, teamwork and leadership. Candidates must meet the following requirements prior to the examination date:
The City of Vancouver requires successful completion of a thorough background investigation, and post offer psychological and medical examination, including pre-employment drug screen. Candidates must successfully complete each step of the selection process to obtain an offer of employment. Candidates may be removed from the process at any time for failing to meet the established standards.
- United States citizenship
- High School Diploma or its equivalent
- Valid driver’s license
- Completed a state certified law enforcement academy
- Maintained any mandated certification s such as firearms qualification and first aid/CPR
- Received a final offer of employment, or be working as a full-time, commissioned law enforcement officer within the last 24 months
For a full job announcement and to apply, please go to www.cityofvancouver.us/hr/page/apply-job
- Application. All candidates must complete an online City of Vancouver Civil Service Application.
- Structured Oral Interview. This video based interview assesses law enforcement experience as well as the skills necessary to be successful as a police officer such as observation skills, problem solving ability, persuasiveness and flexibility.
- Background investigation. A background investigator conducts a comprehensive investigation based on information provided by the candidate in an interview and on a personal history questionnaire. The investigation also includes a behavioral traits assessment and polygraph examination.
- Final Selection interview. This interview panel screens for strengths that will lead to job success.
- Post offer process. Candidates who receive a conditional offer of employment must successfully complete a medical examination including a drug screen and a psychological evaluation prior to receiving a final offer of employment.
- Age: : 21
- Education: : High school diploma or its equivalent
- Experience: : Received a final offer of employment, or be working as a full-time, commissioned law enforcement officer within the last 24 months