Sitka Police Department - Sitka, Alaska
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $26.71 hourly
- $27.37 hourly
The Sitka Police Department has openings for enthusiastic, customer service oriented individuals. If you enjoy serving the public and are committed to service and excellence, we would be interested in hearing from you! This is a fully benefited position. The City and Borough of Sitka offers a competitive salary package that includes the opportunity for regular wage increases, an excellent health insurance program, leave, and retirement credit through PERS (Public Employees Retirement System). RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conducts patrols on foot or in a police car to observe activities found on City-Borough streets, business establishments, residential areas and public areas. Uses discretion as to when to take enforcement actions or initiate peacekeeping measures.
- Operates police cars or other vehicles, observes the public, investigates accidents, determines violations of applicable laws, issues citations, takes necessary action to enforce compliance with federal, state, and local laws and city ordinances.
- Takes charge of situations which require involvement of law enforcement personnel, such as car accidents, emergencies and public disturbances. Assesses the situation and determines immediate response to ensure protection of life and property. Administers first aid, directs traffic and requests emergency assistance or vehicles. Performs on-site personal interviews and records facts.
- Responds to calls for service; or through self-initiated activity, investigates civil and criminal complaints, crimes, disturbances or other unusual circumstances; evaluates the situation and determines if violations of the law occurred or if police action is required, then takes appropriate action.
- Questions and obtains statements from witnesses, collects and preserves evidence, prepares criminal and civil complaints, serves process papers and citations.
- Refers victims to appropriate agencies, such as Family and Youth Services, medical authorities or appropriate domestic violence programs.
- Properly uses specialized police equipment such as cameras, radar, blood-alcohol testing instruments, radios, and various less lethal and deadly weapons.
- Apprehends, pursues, restrains and detains suspects and violators. Makes arrests and transports prisoners.
- Testifies in court in both civil and criminal cases.
- Prepares reports of investigations, activities and conditions dangerous to the public and unusual circumstances.
- Assists other law enforcement agencies.
- Completes special duty assignments such as public speaking, conducting search and rescue operations, conducting public educational programs and special training sessions.
- Performs special police/community relations, or investigations unit or metro unit assignments.
- Performs other related duties as required.
The mission of the Sitka Police Department is to maintain order, and to preserve and protect the life, peace and property of the citizens of the City & Borough of Sitka. SPD consists of approximately 33 employees working towards that end. We operate a 24 hour dispatch and records center, which is responsible for fire and emergency dispatch, as well as a community jail facility. Our operations division consists of Investigations, Patrol, SEACAD drug unit, Emergency Response Vessel operators, and Investigative Dive Team. COMMUNITY INFORMATION: The jurisdiction of the Sitka Police Department covers the entire City and Borough of Sitka. This includes some 4,710 square miles of land area and over 1,300 miles of coastline. The City and Borough of Sitka is considered to be the second largest incorporated city by area in the U.S. While these numbers may sound daunting, most of Sitka's Borough is uninhabited and therefore the majority of police matters are contained to the west side of Baranof Island where the 9,200 citizens of Sitka reside.
- Age: : 21
- Education: : High School Graduation or GED
- Experience: : Entry-none; lateral-2 years
- Must be a citizen of the United States or a resident alien who is legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Applicants must possess or obtain a valid Alaska Driver's License by the date of appointment.
Request more information
Thank you for your interest in this vacancy!