Police Officer / Apprentice Police Officer
Dallas Area Rapid Transit Police Department - Dallas, Texas
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $42,133.00 annual
- Academy Graduate:
- $44,899.00 annual
- $44,899.00 annual
AGENCY INFORMATION: Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) is the mass transit agency for the Dallas metropolitan area. The DART Police Department provides police services for the transportation system throughout 13 cities in 6 counties. The department has over 360 positions and DART Police officers are vested with all the rights, privileges, obligations, and duties of peace officers in the state of Texas. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responds to calls for police service within DART jurisdiction to include, but not limited to:
- Investigating crimes, accidents and incidents
- Arresting suspects and violators
- Settling disputes
- Directing traffic
- Assisting the public
- Detaining individuals
- Issuing citations, and other patrol activities
- Interfaces with local police departments located within DART's service area.
- Conducts preliminary and follow-up investigations.
- Conducts security surveys.
- Develops crime prevention approaches/measures.
- Performs special assignments.
- Prepares a variety of reports for management review such as investigation results, activities, status reports, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- High school diploma, or G.E.D. plus twelve (12) hours college credit from an accredited college or university. The requirement to have 12 college hours only applies to applicants who have a G.E.D. However, applicants who have graduated from High School are not required to have any college hours.
- Written and oral communication skills to effectively communicate with all levels, both inside and outside of DART.
- Analytical and creative skills to find solutions to complex problems.
- Proficient using PC and software applications.
- Valid Texas Drivers License or possess a comparable drivers license from another state of the United States. No Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) conviction within the last ten (10) years; not more than one (1) on driving record. No more than three (3) moving violation convictions within last 36 months.
- Ability to demonstrate a fiduciary obligation to section, division, department, and DART in handling materials and information of a confidential nature.
- Must be able to: continuously work outdoors in all kinds of weather; drive or sit in a patrol car for prolonged periods of time while remaining alert; ride on a train or bus for prolonged periods of time while remaining alert; understand verbal communication over the radio with background noise; and read and write under low light conditions.
- Must be able to: be physically active for prolonged periods of time; stand, walk, and run on all types of surfaces, including uneven surfaces; run after fleeing suspects, to include surmounting various physical barriers, fences, and walls; climb up and down stairs; bend and twist; reach at waist and chest levels, at times reaching behind while in a seated position; kneel and squat; jump without steps onto or from uneven surfaces; carry injured persons; lift, push, and pull up to an estimated 50 lbs of force; restrain persons to prevent escape; use hands for grasping, pushing, and pulling, to include holding firearm, baton, or pepper spray can in a steady and stable, outstretched position; effectively utilize police equipment such as, but not limited to, firearms, handcuffs, batons, pepper spray cans, police radio, keys, and self-contained breathing apparatus; expose hands to vibration; and continuously carry/wear heavy police equipment and bulletproof vest.
- Pass a physical agility test.
- Pass physical (medical) examination which includes a drug screen.
- Incumbents are subject to random alcohol and drug testing as a condition of continual employment.
- Must have vision of no less than 20/40 in each eye (with any corrective lenses) for effective visual surveillance and correct identification of surrounding environment. Candidates must not have moderate or strong impairment of depth or color perception.
- Successful completion of selection process including but not limited to physical agility test, entrance exam, polygraph exam, psychological evaluation, background investigation, and criminal history check.
- Must be able to work variable shifts, including weekends and holidays. Must be able to be on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including holidays and weekends.
- Age: : 20 1/2
- Education: : High School graduate
- Experience: : none required
DISQUALIFICATION FACTORS: During the screening process a criminal history, and driver’s license check will be conducted. Disqualifiers include but are not limited to the following:
- No Felony convictions, no Class A Misdemeanor convictions, and no Class B Misdemeanor convictions in the last ten years.
- No pending criminal investigations or actions (civilian or military) and/or be under indictment for any criminal offense at the time of application.
- Not more than one (1) DWI conviction on your driving record.
- No dishonorable or less than honorable military discharges.
APPLICATION: An online application must be submitted to be considered for employment; a resume alone will not be considered. You may apply online at www.dart.org/webapps/hrportal. STEPS IN THE HIRING PROCESS:
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- AD&D Insurance
- Pension Plan (fully funded by employer at 7.7% of salary)
- 401K Retirement Plan (employer matches ? of employee contribution up to 3%)
- Full uniform provided
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid time off that increases with seniority
- Relocation reimbursement
For additional information about our minimum qualifications or hiring process, please visit our website at www.DART.org/DARTPolice and go to the Employment Opportunities page.
- Online application
- Physical ability test
- Written test
- Interview Board
- Polygraph Exam
- Background Investigation
- Interview with Chief
- Medical exam & drug test
- Psychological evaluation
Request more information
Thank you for your interest in this vacancy!