Communications Officer (Radio Dispatcher)-Lateral
Spokane County Sheriff's Office - Spokane, Washington
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $3,797.20 monthly
- $3,797.20 monthly
- Top Pay:
- $4,636.80 monthly
Receive and transmit radio, computer, and telephone messages to/from units operating in the field. Receive requests from units and provide follow-up service to units requesting additional information, services, or personnel and maintain awareness of the availability, location, and status of patrol units. Analyze situations quickly and accurately and take effective action to help assure officer and public safety. Inquire, interpret, verify, receive, and disseminate information from law enforcement computer networks relating to wanted persons, domestic violence orders of protection, restraining orders, various other civil orders, stolen property, vehicle registrations, etc. Answer incoming hotline calls from 9-1-1; dispatch patrol cars as necessary; transfer or refer calls to appropriate agency. Maintain awareness of field personnel status and location. Prioritize pending calls-for-service. Operate various methods of communications and equipment including, but not limited to: Computer-Aided Dispatch (CAD), two-way radio, Teletype, TTY, Emergency Alert System (EAS), Amber Alert, Emergency Notification System (ENS), Washington State Crime Information Center (WACIC), National Crime Information Center (NCIC), National Warning System (NAWAS), and other systems as required for the effective operation of the Communications Center. Maintain various logs of communication, records, files, and reports as necessary. Testify in court. Respond to the Department of Emergency Management situations such as severe weather, hazardous chemical spills, and major disasters or emergencies, as necessary. May provide dispatcher training either in classroom or dispatch center environments. Perform variety of clerical duties that require accuracy including typing, database entry, and related duties as required. Clean and dust equipment as needed. Performs other related duties as required.
APPLICATION PACKETS Submit the following documents to Civil Service when filing:
Application packets without the attached documents listed above will be considered incomplete and will not be accepted.
- Civil Service Application
- Sealed official high school/GED and college transcripts (All transcripts must be sealed official copies. If you do not have sealed official transcripts, you must turn in proof that they have been ordered and are on their way at the time of application.)
- Application for Veteran’s Preference and DD-214 (copy), if applicable (See RCW 41.04.010 as to how Veteran’s Preference is applied.)
- Current driver’s license (copy)
- Birth certificate (state/county issued copy; hospital copy not accepted)
- Social security card (copy)
- Non-refundable $15.00 processing fee (check or money order payable to SCCSC; no cash will be accepted)
- Age: : 21
- Education: : HS/GED
- Experience: : 24 months
- Age 21, United States citizen who can read and write the English language.
- High school graduate or equivalent (GED).
- A minimum of two years of non-military, continuous communications experience with a single law enforcement agency, with no break in service of more than 180 days, and be currently employed as a Communications Officer in a position equivalent to Communications Officer, Spokane County, with proper certification. Must have at least one year experience utilizing a computer aided dispatch system.
- Vision correctable to 20/20; normal color vision. No uncorrected hearing loss, in either ear, can be greater than:
- 500 Hz - 1000 Hz - 2000 Hz - 3000 Hz
- Better Ear: 35 dB - 30 dB - 30 dB - 40 dB
- Worst Ear: 35 dB - 50 dB - 50 dB - 60 dB
Must be able to type at 45 words per minute accurately. Test will be given. Valid driver’s license at hire and during employment. Applicant must qualify through background review which includes integrity interview and oral boards. Upon conditional offer of appointment, all applicants shall be subject to polygraph, medical and psychological evaluation. This is a union position and, as a condition of employment, the selected individual is required to join.PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS normal dexterity ability to physically and mentally multi-task simultaneously vision must be correctable to 20/20 hearing, color vision and spatial perception must be within normal limitsenvironmental factors may include enclosed space restriction (physically connected into console), noise, working within close quarters of others, may have limitations on breaks due to situations shift work with rotating days off (shifts bid by seniority); may be required to work mandatory overtime and holidays may be required to ride with patrol officers to become familiar with patrol procedures and layout of district
Spokane County Civil Service
Request more information
Thank you for your interest in this vacancy!