Fond du Lac Police Department - Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
- Application Deadline:
The position of Patrol Officer is an entry-level position within the Police Department. As a representative of the City of Fond du Lac, the patrol officer is governed by not only legal, but also moral standards of the highest nature. His/her philosophy must be one of dedication to the public, submerging his/her own personal interest for the common good. Duties are to protect, regulate and service the citizens of the community as they go about their daily activities. The patrol officer must be able to perform these duties without the benefit of immediate supervision. The individual is required to garner a complete knowledge of department policies, procedures and job methods relating to his/her work assignment. The police officer must exhibit a great amount of discretion and a working knowledge of criminal law, city ordinances, and department policies when dealing with the citizens of the community. Major Work Objectives:
Qualifications Essential Knowledge and Abilities:
- Routinely patrols the streets and public grounds of the community.
- Enforces traffic laws, issuing citations or warnings to violators.
- Investigates all traffic accidents occurring on these streets and highways within the corporate limits of the city.
- Responds to and investigates citizen complaints and reports.
- Prepares and/or dictates all required reports completely and promptly.
- Testifies in court as a witness.
- Operates an intoxilyzer, radar units and other equipment required.
- Assists and cooperates with other law enforcement, social, and governmental agencies when requested, and when compatible with department policy.
- Shall attend recruit and in-service training schools as required to maintain certification.
- May be required to work in the capacity of a plain-clothes officer, or other special duty assignments.
- Thorough knowledge of department policies, procedures and rules relating to the operation of the Police Department within one year of employment.
- Working knowledge of federal laws, state statutes, city ordinances and courtroom procedures.
- Ability to keep accurate records relating to assigned duties and tasks.
- Ability to grasp and use computers and computer related technology.
- Thorough knowledge of equipment used by police agencies and first aid techniques.
- Ability to exhibit self-control when performing police duties.
- Ability to become and remain Certified by the State of Wisconsin.
The City of Fond du Lac is a dynamic community of 43,075 residents in the City and approximately 66,000 in the Fond du Lac metropolitan area. Fond du Lac is located on the shores of Lake Winnebago and in the heart of rapidly growing East-Central Wisconsin. Our community is the home of three different colleges/universities and offers a variety of civic, cultural, recreational and other excellent quality-of-life amenities. The City of Fond du Lac Police Department is one of the larger police departments in the State of Wisconsin and, as such, we offer an extensive number of career path and specialized assignment opportunities. Our department consists of 74 sworn members, 7 civilian members, 2 non-sworn community service officers, a 9-member police chaplaincy corps and a 24-member auxiliary police force. City is divided into three geographic districts (East, Central, West), with each district operating under the command of a Captain and two Lieutenants. All officers are assigned to work in one of these districts. Due to our emphasis on problem solving and the prevention of crime and disorder, we are looking for officers that want to get very actively involved in this style of policing. In addition to the customary divisions and assignments found in law enforcement, our specialized teams, positions and assignments also include:
Fond du Lac Police Department has a continuous hiring process. After you submit your application you will be notified as to when the next process will begin. For additional information contact Lt. Jason Laridaen firstname.lastname@example.org
- SWAT Team
- K9 Unit
- MEG/Drug Task Force
- Street Crimes Unit
- School Resource Officer
- Computer Forensic Investigations
- Sex Offender Compliance Team
- Bike Patrol Unit
- Honor Guard Unit
- Motor Unit
- Training Division – Field Training Unit and Training Team
- Crime Prevention
- Evidence Technicians
- On-site Fitness Facility
- Age: : 18
- Education: : 60 College Credits
- Experience: : None
Desirable Training and Experience:
*All requirements must be met at the time of written testing for this recruitment. Special Requirements:
- High school graduation or equivalent supplemented by advanced education consisting of associate degree or 60 college-level credits.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college is desirable, and/or certified/certifiable by the State of Wisconsin for Law Enforcement.
- Minimum of 18 years of age.
- Possession of a valid Wisconsin drivers’ license with an above average driving record.
- Possession of valid documents to verify employment eligibility in the United States.
- The Fond du Lac Police Department is actively soliciting applications from qualified minority candidates as well as candidates fluent in second languages.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Additional information and application materials are available on the internet at www.fdl.wi.gov or www.FDLPolice.com, or by contacting the City Human Resources Department (920) 322-3624.
- Must comply with any special requirements as to residence, age, physical condition, etc., as set by the Police and Fire Commission.
- Selected individuals will be required to serve a twelve-month probationary period.
Request more information
Thank you for your interest in this vacancy!