Temporary 911 Call Taker Trainee
Austin Police Department Communications Division - Austin, Texas
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $15.14 hourly
- Answers emergency 911 calls and non-emergency requests for assistance.
- Operates 911 communications equipment to monitor and determine the exact nature of each request for service.
- Enters a variety of information into applicable database(s) to allow dispatch to occur quickly.
- Determines caller location and agency involvement of each incident as required.
- Determines nature of emergency prioritizes and codes them for computer input.
- Enters incident data in computer, on appropriate form, or relays calls to appropriate personnel.
- Routes non-emergency calls to appropriate personnel and/or agency.
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Ability to comprehend, process and apply both verbal and written skills appropriate to the job
- Ability to consistently demonstrate sound ethics and judgment.
- Skill in handling conflict and uncertain situations.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software applications.
- Ability to work in close quarters and to wear a telephone headset.
- Ability to apply telephone interviewing techniques.
- Ability to quickly and accurately obtain appropriate information during stressful situations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective communication and working relationships with city employees and the public.
- Age: : 18
- Education: : High School Diploma or GED
- Experience: : Must be able to pass the State mandated exam to obtain the Texas Commission On Law Enforcement (TCOLE) Telecommunicator License within (1) year of employment.
This is an entry-level temporary position that works under immediate supervision while learning job tasks associated with receiving emergency 911 calls for police service and entering accurate data into the Computer Aided Dispatch computer system. Certification or the ability to type at least 40 net words per minute is required. The typing certificate must be issued within one (1) year prior to our receipt of your application and may be attached to your online application. Typing tests are administered through the Workforce Solutions Offices. In compliance with the Texas Commission On Law Enforcement, applicants must show proof of U.S. citizenship. The following documents are accepted: Birth certificate – U.S. Passport – US Passport card – certificate of Citizenship – certificate of Naturalization. Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of all testing requirements, including background, fingerprint clearance, interview process, psychological exam, physical exam, and drug screening, as administered by the department. Employees will be in a training status for 8-10 weeks. A detailed and complete employment application is required to help us better evaluate your qualifications. A resume and cover letter must be submitted, but will not substitute for a complete employment application. Please verify the employment history dates on your resume exactly match the online application.
Request more information
Thank you for your interest in this vacancy!