CITY OF ROCKWALL - ROCKWALL, Texas
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $51,917.00 annual
- Top Pay:
- $63,107.00 annual
- Conducts routine preventive patrol in designated residential and business areas, and initiates contacts with both business operators and residents to establish open communications, gather and dispense information, and establish the presence of law enforcement within the community.
- Responds to calls for police service and takes action upon observing a circumstance or situation requiring police attention, including the issuance of municipal citations, and arrests of misdemeanor and felony violators and fugitives.
- Interviews witnesses, victims, suspects, arrested persons, and informants to obtain pertinent information concerning accidents/crimes.
- Provides information to the public, victims, witnesses, and relatives concerning available services in the community.
- Performs Basic First Aid and CPR at scenes.
- Conducts initial crime scene investigations, i.e., identifies and collects crucial evidence to be secured for processing, labels evidence with data for crime scene reconstruction, packages and stores evidence in a manner to protect chain of custody.
- Operational knowledge of federal laws, state statutes, and local ordinances and the ability to effectively enforce these statues. Investigates motor vehicle accidents, and protects lives and property at all motor vehicle accident scenes. Thorough knowledge of federal laws, state statutes, and local ordinances.
- Testifies in civil, traffic, and criminal court proceedings.
- Performs report and record maintenance duties, and ensure their accurate completion in a timely manner.
- Attends in-service training as directed to maintain current knowledge of changes in laws, new methods of enforcement, and other trends and developments in law enforcement.
- Required to report for work punctually, work all scheduled hours, and any required overtime as deemed necessary. Must maintain a physical condition and standards necessary for the proper performance of duties, with or without accommodation.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Physical Requirements: Some tasks are essentially sedentary, with occasional walking, bending, light lifting, or other restricted physical activities.
- Thorough knowledge of federal laws, state statutes, and local ordinances.
- Considerable knowledge of crime prevention techniques.
- Considerable knowledge of principles and techniques employed in crime scene investigation.
- Considerable knowledge of principles and techniques employed in accident investigations.
- Considerable knowledge of First Responder and CPR.
- Considerable knowledge of report and record maintenance principles and practices.
- Skill in the care and safe operation of a variety of firearms, impact weapons, and chemical agents.
- Skill in the operation of motorized vehicles under adverse conditions.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively with superiors and the general public.
- Ability to analyze situations quickly and objectively, and to determine proper courses of action within the established framework of policies and procedures.
- Ability to learn the geography of the City and surrounding areas.
- Ability to maintain composure under emergency situations, and to work effectively under stressful conditions.
- Ability to exercise discretion.
Some tasks involve some physical effort, i.e., some standing and walking, or frequent light lifting (5-10 pounds); or minimal dexterity in the use of fingers, limbs, or body in the operation of shop or office equipment; may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station. Some tasks involve frequent walking, standing; some lifting and carrying of moderate weight (12-20 pounds); and/or the operation of vehicles, office, shop, or hand tools in which manipulative skills and hand-eye coordination are important ingredients of safe and/or productive operations. Some tasks involve the regular, and at times sustained, performance of heavier physical tasks such as walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, working in confined spaces, and lifting or carrying moderately heavy (20-50 pounds) items and occasionally very heavy (100 pounds or over) items. Environmental Requirements:Sensory Requirements:
- Some tasks require exposure to adverse environmental conditions (e.g. dirt, cold, rain, and fumes).
- Some tasks require exposure to extreme heat/cold or extreme weather conditions.
- Some tasks require exposure to strong odors and/or smoke.
- Some tasks require exposure to strong and/or toxic chemicals.
- Some tasks require exposure to dust or pollen.
- Some tasks may require exposure to elements that can cause illness (e.g., pathogenic substances, virus, and parasites).
- Some tasks require color, sound, odor, depth, texture and visual perception and discrimination.
- Some tasks require oral communications ability.
- Age: : 21
Must be at least 21 years old and posses High school diploma or GED and have a minimum of forty-five (45) college credit hours from an accredited college. Must be able to or have already successfully completed the Police Academy Program and Police Training Program (PTO), and attain Basic Peace Officer certification. Associates degree preferred. Military/College Credit: Receive three (3) college credit hours up to a maximum accumulation of 15 hours for every one (1) year Active Military Duty and/or Previous Law Enforcement Experience as a licensed Police Officer.
Request more information
Thank you for your interest in this vacancy!