West Melbourne Police Department - West Melbourne, Florida
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $16.28 hourly
- Academy Graduate:
- $35,560.00 annual
PAY GRADE: $35,560/year or $16.28/hour GENERAL DESCRIPTION: This position requires enforcing laws and ordinances and providing assistance to the general public for the City of West Melbourne through the West Melbourne Police Department. The Police Officer reports to his/her immediate supervisor as assigned. This is a non-exempt position. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Patrols assigned area in police cruiser while maintaining radio contact with dispatch and supervisor for unusual or suspicious incidents which may require police attention. Checks buildings for suspicious open doors and windows and responds to calls or initiates action as appropriate.
- Responds to calls involving criminal violations and secures the scene to restore peace and protect the evidence.
- Responds to calls for assistance as needed by interviewing complainants and witnesses, making arrests, searching suspects for weapons and evidence and advising suspects of rights. This includes seizing contraband and stolen property, transporting suspects to the Police Department, interrogating suspects to complete booking forms, and writing reports.
- Conducts routine follow-up investigations of assigned cases by interviewing victims, witnesses, informants and other sources of information, which could require testifying in court.
- Conducts surveillance and stakeouts.
- Responds to calls involving major traffic accidents, fires and other accidents or disasters by securing the scene to protect victims and property. This may include providing first aid and handling calls for medical assistance.
- Issues traffic summons if appropriate, and other warnings and parking tickets.
- Directs traffic at special events and at congested intersections which could include escorting funerals and V.I.P.’s through the City.
- Performs related work as required.
EDUCATION AND SPECIFICATIONS: Must be a high school graduate or GED equivalent, graduate of an accredited law enforcement academy with minimum Police Standards Certificate as required by the State of Florida for a sworn Police Officer, possess a valid Florida driver’s license. Must be able to pass a comprehensive background check and be physically fit.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local criminal, juvenile and traffic laws; court policy and procedures; laws and procedures of search and seizure; criminal investigation theories, methods and procedures; crime prevention methods; and procedures of evidence and arrest.
- Must have the ability to sit, stand, and walk intermittently, lift light to heavy objects, use fingers as well as both hands and feet, good hearing without hearing aid, and good near, far and color depth perception in both eyes.
- Must possess sufficient manual dexterity and strength to subdue an arrestee when necessary.
- Ability to analyze problems quickly and to take action and make decisions under stress.
- Ability to operate police vehicle under extreme circumstances.
- Must be able to qualify with a firearm.
- Ability to write technical reports and correspondence.
- Must be able to observe and record events accurately and completely.
- Must be able to follow verbal directions with little or no supervision.
- Ability to perform in various climatic conditions associated with indoor and outdoor work, while subject to hazardous chemicals, gases, noise, infectious diseases and violence.
- Age: : 19
- Education: : Graduated from the Academy
- Experience: : Graduated from the Academy
To apply, please go to www.westmelbourne.org/index.aspx?NID=624.
Request more information
Thank you for your interest in this vacancy!