Animal Control Shelter Manager
City of Odessa - Odessa, Texas
- Application Deadline:
The purpose of this position is to provide oversight and direction to the City of Odessa Animal Control Shelter and staff.
EXPERIENCE: Two (3) years experience in Animal Control or Public Health Zoonosis Control, and one (2) year of supervisory experience in Animal Control and/or Public Health Zoonosis Control, in the public or private sector, or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience. EDUCATION: Minimum of a high school diploma or G.E.D. certification required. Associates degree in Veterinary Science, Business/Public Administration or any related field is required. Doctor of Veterinary Medicine/Science is highly preferred. Applicant must hold a current certificate identifying him/her as a Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) OR license veterinarian in the State of Texas. Certification and License(s): Possess a valid Texas Drivers License.
- Age: : none
- Education: : HS OR G.E.D.
- Experience: : 3-5
All applicants for this position must possess
- A thorough knowledge of local, State, and Federal laws pertaining to animal keeping and care.
- A thorough knowledge of the cause of zoonotic diseases and other diseases, methods of treatment, and clinical symptoms.
- A thorough knowledge of animal breeds and species.
- The ability to positively communicate with the public and departmental personnel.
- The ability to assess animals for health and temperament.
- The ability to administer blood test, emergency first aid, and vaccines.
- The ability to prepare activity reports.
- A working knowledge of the principles and practices of budget preparation, supervision and training.
- The ability to select, train, evaluate and supervise subordinate staff.