Entry Level Police Officer
Colorado Springs Police Department - Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $45,852.00 annual
- Academy Graduate:
- $49,524.00 annual
- Top Pay:
- $69,576.00 annual
The Colorado Springs Police Department embraces a proactive policing philosophy. Rather than just responding to crime that has occurred, we seek to understand why crime is committed and find ways to mitigate or remove the conditions that may lead to criminal activity. This policing philosophy is called Community Oriented Policing. Inherent in this philosophy is the creation of community and police partnerships in problem identification and solution. As a result, we seek candidates with the knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the job within the context of our policing philosophy. Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action The City of Colorado Springs is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. No person shall be discriminated against because of race, color, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, religious convictions, veteran status, disability status, political beliefs or other non-job related criteria. Affirmative Action dictates that positive steps are taken to ensure people from all segments of the community are represented in the City work force. The City is committed to ensuring that individuals with disabilities be given the same consideration for employment that individuals without disabilities are given. If you are disabled and need assistance in the application process, contact the City Human Resources Department at (719) 385-5904. For hearing impaired applicants, the Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD) telephone number is (719) 578-1800.
- Age: : 21
- Education: : 30 College credits
- Experience: : None
Police Recruit This position is for applicants that have no prior law enforcement experience, or less than three years of paid experience as a law enforcement officer. The minimum qualifications for Police Recruit are:
- You must be by the date of hire at least 21 years of age.
- You must not have been convicted of a felony.
- You must not have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.
- You must not have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime that would affect your ability to certify with the Colorado Police Officer Standards and Training (POST) Board. Visit the POST website at www.ago.state.co.us/post/Misdemeanors.pdf for a list of misdemeanors that will preclude police officer certification.
- You must have by the date of hire an Associate Degree or 60 college semester hours. A national or regional accrediting organization recognized by the United States Department of Education must accredit the school or institution granting the degree or credits. Candidates that do not meet educational minimums upon application must submit a statement from their school confirming that they are currently enrolled in a course of study that will allow the candidate to meet the minimum qualifications upon date of hire.
- You must be by the date of hire a US citizen, permanent resident alien, temporary resident alien, applicant for temporary resident status, refugee or asylee. All applicants that are offered employment must provide documents to establish their identity and employment eligibility for authorization to work in the U.S.
- You must not have been released or discharged from the Armed Forces of the United States under dishonorable conditions.
- You must be in good physical condition and meet medical standards as established by the City of Colorado Springs Police Department.
- You must have and maintain a valid driver's license. By date of hire, candidates that have been selected for employment must possess and maintain a valid Colorado driver's license.