Police Officer Canaveral Port Authority
Canaveral Port Authority - Cape Canaveral, Florida
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $19.25 hourly
Performs assigned duties with operational and administrative components such as: Cruise Terminal Security Operations, Marine Patrol, Cargo Area Regulatory Enforcement, Special Events, evidence collecting, vehicle maintenance, inventory control, and communications. Work is performed under the general direction of the Police Sergeant to maintain law and order and protect the public, detect and prevent crimes, direct and control traffic, process crime scenes, investigate traffic crashes and investigate and apprehend suspects involved in criminal activity. Perform duties in accordance with Florida State Statutes and established departmental policies, procedures and guidelines. DUTIES: Tactical:
- Maintains all individually assigned and department equipment in operational readiness condition
- May coordinate and initiate training programs for officers (sworn and non sworn) within the department
- Maintains compliance with department standards, policies and procedures
- Investigates complaints from citizens
- Carries, maintains and is adept in the use of assigned weapons.
- Plans and ensures security for visiting dignitaries.
- Plans and prepares operational procedures and work schedules for traffic flow, crowd control and/or security at special community events.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Attends and participates in assigned departmental functions
- Writes reports documenting incidents within established legal guidelines
- Prepares daily, weekly, and monthly reports
- Attends meetings and sits on various committees as assigned
- Conducts short and long range planning activities
- Assists in developing departmental goals and objectives
REQUIRED LICENSES AND CONDITIONS
- High School Diploma or a High School Equivalency Diploma
- Certification by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement Police Standards and Training Commission as a Law Enforcement Officer
- Possess and maintain current CPR Certification to include the use of AED.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS PHYSICAL ABILITY:
- One (1) year of experience as a sworn Police Officer
- Valid State of Florida Drivers License
- Must be at least nineteen years of age
- Must not have been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor involving moral turpitude
- Must meet minimum physical and medical requirements
- Must reside within 60 miles from Port Canaveral
- Must pass an oral review board
- Must be able to work day or night, weekdays, weekends or holidays, any shift, any day of the week
SENSORY REQUIREMENTS: In accordance with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement minimum vision must be at least 20/70 either/or both, corrected to 20/30, and the ability to differentiate between colors and shades of colors and hearing must be normal at a distance of fifteen (15) feet. WORKING CONDITIONS: Tasks risk exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as noise, solvents, odors, slippery and uneven surfaces, heights, machinery, traffic hazards, as well as varying weather conditions, i.e., hot and cold temperatures, rain, etc. The Canaveral Port Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity guidelines and the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Canaveral Port Authority provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of machinery and equipment including computers, typewriters, calculators, copies, facsimile machines, firearms, restraint devices, two-way radios, surveillance equipment, cameras, flashlights, etc.
- Must be physically able to operate a motor vehicle.
- Must be able to exert up to 75 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently and/or 25 pounds of force constantly to move objects
- Work may involve walking, standing, running and physical confrontation. Physical demand requirements are for medium to heavy work.
- Must have the ability to coordinate hands and eyes rapidly and accurately in using law enforcement equipment.
- Education: : High School Diploma or equivalvent
- Experience: : 1 year as sworn Florida Police Officer
Canaveral Port Authority Human Resources