Police Records Supervisor
City of Garland - Garland, Texas
- Application Deadline:
Summary: Responsible for supervising Records personnel in support of the Police Department to ensure record keeping compliance with City directives, police general orders and state and federal laws. Also responsible for managing workflow, quality control, and acting as custodian of records for court appearance and depositions.
Number of Direct Reports (include titles): 12 Records Technicians Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Physical Requirements / Work Environment The incumbent works in a typical office environment; relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards. The incumbent may walk, bend, reach, lift boxes and other materials up to 50 lbs, and push/pull carts. To apply, click "Employment Opportunities" at www.garlandtx.gov
- Evaluate, interpret and maintain orders for the dissemination, retention, inventory and destruction of records in compliance with local, state and federal requirements.
- Assign, review and supervise the work of the staff responsible for the daily operations and activities of police records management.
- Maintain quality control of the departmental criminal records by serving as the custodian of records.
- Manage the compilation of documentation and records requested through subpoenas.
- Provide training in records retention policies and procedures as needed.
- Prepare and distribute statistical reports and budget documents for management’s approval.
- Uphold and enforce the City alarm and solicitation ordinance by communicating to the public, intercepting adverse conditions and providing solutions.
- Act as City liaison for Police Records in response to requests for court appearances and depositions.
- Manage department petty cash and reconcile daily deposits.
- Age: : 22
- Education: : Some College
- Experience: : 4 Years
Preferred Qualifications Education/ Experience:
- Some coursework beyond High School
- 4 years related experience
- 1 year leadership or supervisory experience Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 6 months to 1 year of coursework beyond High School preferred
- 4-6 years experience in Record Keeping, Court or Police Records Administration
- 1-2 years of leadership or supervisory experience in Record Keeping, Court or Police Records Administration
Licenses and Certifications
- Extensive knowledge of Police Record Keeping procedures
- Extensive knowledge of federal, state and local regulations in regards to Public Information Act
- Extensive knowledge of Court clerical requirements, subpoenas, depositions etc.
- Skill using in Microsoft Office software including Word, Outlook, and Excel
- Skill using computer software and programs including I-LEADS, Informer Client, etc.
- Ability to apply current office technology, resources and services to assist officers, departments and the general public
- Ability to maintain sensitive information in a confidential manner
- Ability to reconcile daily deposits and petty cash.
To apply, click "Employment Opportunities" at www.garlandtx.gov
- Valid Class C Texas driver's license
- Texas Law Enforcement Telecommunications System (TLETS) Operator certification
Capt. Tracy Carson