Sandy Police - Sandy, Utah
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $18.34 hourly
- Academy Graduate:
- $18.34 hourly
- Top Pay:
- $27.51 hourly
Summary Statement of Overall Purpose/goal of Position:
Under general supervision of a Police Sergeant, provides a range of routine and emergency police services. Enforces criminal laws and county and city ordinances.
* Communcate effectively with merchants, businesses and citizens identifying problem areas or concerns.
* Work closely with merchants, businesses and citizens in solving problems within the community.
* Provide a sense of security for businesses and citizens within the community.
* Enforce local and state laws, including traffic codes.
* Safely and effectively operate a police vehicle according to departmental and EVO policy.
* Communicate effectively, in English language, both verbally and in writing.
*Provide for protection and security of citizens through the application of appropriate arrest control techniques.
* Respond to and investigate reports of criminal offenses.
* Effectively utilize lethal and non-lethal weapons within departmental guidelines.
* Successfully interact with, and when necessary, control persons experiencing emotional, psychological or other disorders in a manner prescribed by departmental policy.
* Routinely patrol city neighborhoods.
* Respond to calls for service in the community.
* Specialty assignments include, but are not limited to: Police Service Dog, Traffic, Detective, Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) and School Resource.
* Make court appearances when necessary.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
Physical Demands: Duties of job require moderate to heavy physical exertion including running, climbing, kneeling, stooping and balancing; constant seeing and hearing. Employee typically handles office equipment, objects or controls and other types of equipment; frequently communicates with others. Employee will sit or stand for long periods of time and may move up to 50 pounds. Constant attendane is required.
Working Conditions: Great pressure and fatigue exist during a normal workday due to moderate exposure to stressful situations, overtime, deadlines and contact with the public. Frequent eposure to unpleasant or hazardous conditions caused by the handling of dangerous situations. The noise level is usually moderate. Work assignments are broad and performed with little or no supervision or checking; work procedures are established, refer only unusual cases to supervisor; must work in all weather conditions as well as all types of environmental and physical hazards. Positoin includes rotating shift work, including days, graveyard, weekends and holidays.
- Age: 21
- Education: High School Graduate
- Experience: None Required
Must pass P.O.S.T. exam with a score of 80% or better overall.
*Must be a United States citizen
*Must be at least 21 years of age
*May not have been convicted of an offense involving dishonesty, unlawful sexual conduct, physical violence and/or domestic violence.
*May not have been convicted of the unlawful use, sale or possession of a controlled substance in the past five years.
*May not have been convicted of a crime for which the applicant could have been punished by imprisonment in a federal penitentiary of this or another state.
*Must demonstrate good moral character as determined by a background investigation.
*Must be free of any physical, emotional, or mental conditions that might adversely affect the performance of duty as a peace officer.
*Must be able to type at least 30 words per minute (typing test required)
*Requires a valid Utah Driver's License; must meet all mandatory certifications annually.
For additonal information and requirements: see Job Posting at http://sandy.utah.gov/government/human-resources/current-openings.html
Request more information
Thank you for your interest in this vacancy!