911 Communications Officer
Gwinnett County Police Department - Lawrenceville, Georgia
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $33,736.00 annual
- Top Pay:
- $36,689.00 annual
Gwinnett County Police 911 Communications Officers provide a vital service to the community by contributing to the safety and welfare of their fellow citizens. They are the first point of contact in most emergency situations. The Gwinnett County Police Department is currently seeking 911 Communications Officers. We offer competitive salary, benefits, and on-the-job training. The Gwinnett County Police Department's Communications Unit operates out of a state of the art facility.
TYPICAL CLASS ESSENTIAL DUTIES:(These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.)
Answers 911/emergency and non-emergency calls from the public for police, fire, and emergency medical services (EMS) response and codes all request for Police, Fire and EMS assistance. Gives lifesaving and pre-arrival instructions to callers in emergency situations and maintains appropriate logs.
Operates emergency communication systems simultaneously, to include:
- Computers, radios, and phones.
- Participates in coordinating emergency responses and assistance from external agencies.
- Accesses a variety of computer information systems and databases to retrieve, verify, and enter data. Testifies in court.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
- Health, dental, vision, prescription drug and wellness programs.
- 12 holidays per year
- Annual leave (vacation): 13 days/year at hire, ascending thereafter
- Sick leave: 13 days/year and Compensation for required military training and jury duty.
- Retirement plans (shared cost)
- Deferred compensation plan
- Employee assistance program
- Uniforms and equipment furnished
- Credit union membership.
- Employee discount programs
- Age: 18
- Education: High School or GED
- Experience: None Required
- Age : 18
- Education : High School or GED
- Experience : Entry Level
- Additional Requirement :
Training and Experience (positions in this class require):
- High School Diploma, or G.E.D.
- Two (2) years of work experience in a fast paced environment (preferably in a customer service or telecommunications environment)
- Or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
Licensing Requirements (positions in this class require):Must enter the Communications Academy.
Knowledge (position requirements at entry):
- Customer service principles
- Standard office equipment
- Record-keeping principles
- Map reading methods
Skills (position requirements at entry):
- Operating a computer and applicable software
- Handling multiple tasks simultaneously
- Typing/Data Entry/Transcription
- Maintaining logs
- Operating standard office equipment
- Evaluating the urgency of calls and taking appropriate action
- Operating communications equipment
- Providing customer service
- Strong ability to convey assertive, yet calm, response in emergency situations.
- Above average communication/interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
- Positions in this class require:reaching, extensive sitting, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
- Sedentary Work:Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
- Incumbents may be subjected to poor ventilation, work space restrictions, intense noises, disruptive people, EXCESSIVELY HIGH LEVELS OF STRESS FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME DUE TO NATURE OF EMERGENCY CALL CENTER ACTIVITY.
This position may require:24 hour on call assignment, overtime, or working weekends, holidays, 10-hour, 12-hour, and rotating shifts.