CMPD is Looking for Experienced Officers!!!
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department - Charlotte, North Carolina
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $41,081.00 annual
- Academy Graduate:
- $41,081.00 annual
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Dept. is Looking for Experienced Officers!!! The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department is looking for outstanding certified, sworn law enforcement officers to add to our ranks. We are interested in officers who exhibit integrity, professionalism and dedication to bring their skills and experience to service for our citizens. The CMPD has a long history of excellence borne out of a commitment to making Charlotte one of the safest large cities in the United States. You will not find a police department with more pride, more talent or more integrity. We invite you to experience what we do – and the difference you can make as a member of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department. Apply today!
The following is a list of benefits that applies to all sworn Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Officers.
- New hires will start at the rate of $41,081*
- Lateral hires pay is comenserate with experince*
- A 5% incentive for persons who have a proficiency in Spanish, Vietnamese, Laotian
- 5% bonus for Associate’s Degree, additional 5% bonus for Bachelor’s Degree
- 10 Paid holidays per year
- 10 to 20 vacation days per year, based on years of service
- 2 weeks leave for annual reserve military training, one week is paid
- Medical / Dental Insurance - City pays a portion of the coverage
- Paid life insurance of double annual salary up to $100,000
- Eligible for full retirement benefits from the city and state after 30 years of credible service or at age 55
- 401(k) provided by the city - 5% of salary contributed by the city for sworn personnel
- Educational tuition reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program - personal and family counseling
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Officers are provided with the finest equipment, the best training, and the latest technology available in law-enforcement today
*NOTE: CMPD Officer pay, whether Entry Level or Lateral, is subject to change and based on City Council approval each year.
- Age: 21
- Education: High School
- Experience: 2 Years consecutive employment from the same agency
Applicants must meet the following minimum qualifications to be considered for employment:
- Have a high school diploma or GED, but we encourage applicants to have at least an Associates Degree
- Be at least 21 years old
- Have or be able to obtain a North Carolina Driver's License
- Have not committed or been convicted of any felony or serious misdemeanors
- Have not been convicted of driving while impaired during the preceding five years
- Be in good physical health
- Be a United States citizen
- Have an Honorable Military Discharge, if applicable
- Pass an entry level written examination. (Content of the examination: Accuracy of Observation, Written Communication Skills, Reading with Understanding, and Biodata)
- Pass an entry level physical ability test.
- Pass an extensive background investigation including psychological examination, polygraph examination, medical examination, and drug screening.
- Certain past drug use will result in disqualification (History of certain drug use may disqualify)
- Normal Color Vision
- Minimum corrected visual acuity of 20/30 binocularly
- Pass a pre-employment Physical Examination and Drug Screening Test
*Effective June 1, 2010* All applicants must be able to read on a 10th grade reading level. (Reading levels are obtained from the entry level written examination.)
What is the City of Charlotte like? It is a big city with a small town atmosphere. Charlotte is the nation's second largest banking center. We have excellent schools, universities and colleges. It is located centrally between the mountains and the Atlantic coast. Charlotte is the home of several professional sports franchises including the Carolina Panthers, Charlotte Bobcats, and America's premier NASCAR facility- Charlotte Motor Speedway. For more information about Charlotte, visit the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce.