Lateral Police Officer
City of Bellingham - Bellingham, Washington
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $5,005.00 monthly
- Top Pay:
- $6,824.00 monthly
Police Officers enforce state and municipal laws, protect life and property, prevent and deter crime, protect
the rights of all citizens and preserve the public peace. The duties of this position consist of patrol activities,
inspecting and reporting violations of the law, community policing, apprehending violators and giving
immediate assistance to citizens in emergency situations where the security of lives and/or property may be
endangered. Officers work a unique shift called 10/40, consisting of 10 hr. 40 minutes per day. Officers
work the following schedule: 5 days on, 4 days off, 5 days on, 5 days off. More information on this shift
schedule will be provided during the interview stage of the process.
Benefits include health, dental, vision, and prescription drug coverage for employee, spouse and
dependents. Employees receive vacation, sick leave, retirement and deferred compensation benefits and
12 paid holidays each year. Police Guild membership is required within thirty days of hire.
Applications must be filed online at:
- Age: 21
- Education: Two years (90 quarter/60 semester hours) course work at accredited college
- Experience: 24 months of full time paid duty as a sworn officer in a state or local civilian government jurisdiction providing general law enforcement services and be in said position at time of application or retain active commission.
Necessary Special Requirements:
- Must pass thorough employment reference and background investigation.
- Must pass a FBI records check and polygraph examination.
- Must pass a psychological and general medical evaluation.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug test.
- Lateral applicants currently employed and meeting physical standards as police officers in another jurisdiction are accepted as able to meet the physical requirements of the job.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, Red Cross certification for Infant/Child and Adult CPR and Standard First Aid.
- Valid Washington State driver's licence by time of hire and good driving record. A three-year driving abstract must be submitted prior to hire, with periodic submission of driving abstract per City policy.
- Attainment of the age of 21 years.
- U.S. Citizenship. Washington State residency by time of hire.
- A standard 12 month Civil Service probationary period applies for lateral hires.
- No record of felony convictions.
Misdemeanor convictions will also be reviewed. A misdemeanor conviction will not necessarily disqualify an applicant but offenses, by their nature and recentness, may reveal a lack of specific qualifications for this position.
Failure to meet the following qualifications on the medical exam is reason for rejection:
Uncorrected vision in either eye of 20/100 or better.
Vision able to be corrected to 20/20 in the better eye and 20/30 in the lesser eye.
Defective color vision or depth perception.
The urinalysis drug screen, background investigation and polygraph examination includes a review of illegal drug use. A history of using illegal drugs, considering the nature and recentness of these offenses, may be grounds for disqualification for this position.