Lancaster Police Department - Lancaster, Texas
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $44,003.00 annual
- Top Pay:
- $55,256.00 annual
Enforce laws related to the protection of life and property, direct and control traffic, prevent crime or disturbance of peace, and arrest violators by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Patrol assigned area on foot, by motorcycle, in patrol car, or on horseback to enforce laws, prevent and discover crimes, investigate crimes, maintain order, and answer calls and complaints.
Answer radio-dispatched or citizens' requests for police services at the scene of accidents, domestic disputes, law violations, and peace disturbances.
Familiarize self with beat and with persons living in the area.
Investigate illegal or suspicious activities, persons, and establishments, and quell disturbances.
Locate, search, detain, and arrest law violators, following recognized police procedures.
Interview and question victims, witnesses, and suspects.
Gather and preserve evidence.
Perform first aid and provide other assistance to accident and other victims.
Investigate causes and results of accidents.
Direct and control traffic.
Issue written citations for traffic and other minor violations.
Inspect public establishments requiring licenses to ensure compliance with rules and regulations.
Operate police communication and computer equipment to obtain, disseminate, and report information.
Attend community meetings to discuss crime prevention activities and crime problems.
Write detailed incident, investigation, activity, and other reports.
Testify in court to present evidence by describing conditions, situations, and actions.
Please be advised that the City of Lancaster will be administering a Civil Service Entrance Examination for Police Officers on Saturday, September 20, 2014.
Applications may be acquired from (study guides are not issued until a complete application is received):
- Office of Human Resources, 211 N. Henry St., Lancaster, Texas 75146 (972) 275-1790. (Office hours are 8-5, Monday - Friday.)
- Or download a PDF version online at www. lancaster-tx.com / civil service webpage.
The Police Officers Examination will be adminstered from 9 A.M. to 9:45 A.M.
- The Physical Agility Test will be administered immediately after the Entrance Exam for those who pass the Language Skills Exam. Bring proper clothing and shoes to participate in the physical activity.
The Entrance Examinations will be administered at the Lancaster Senior Life Center; 240 Veterans Memorial Pkwy., Lancaster, Texas 75134 (Map in study guide)
- Proper identification will be required in order to be admitted to the Examination.
- The Entrance Examination will consist of language skills. Study guides will be provided to applicants from the Human Resources Department after receipt of a complete application.
- A ranked eligibility list will be maintained for one year unless the list is exhausted.
- All applications and required documensts should be returned to Human Resources via in person or fax by the deadline.
Office of Human Resources, 211 N. Henry St., Lancaster, TX 75146 (972)275-1790. (Office hours are 8-5, Monday - Friday), or
Faxed to (972) 275-1894.
Applications are due by 4 P.M. on Thursday, September 18, 2014 in order to be included for the Examination.
Salary: Entry-level police officers with no prior experience start at $44,003 annually. Top pay (after six years) is $55,256 annually. Newly hired applicants may be given prior credit for up to three years of verifiable, full-time service as a peace officer and started as high as Step 3 with the annual salary of $47,982. Longevity and overtime pay are according to Civil Service law found in Chapter 143 of the Texas Local Government Code. The Lancaster Police Department pays additional incentives for Intermediate, Advanced, and Master Peace Officer certificates from TCOLE.
- Age: 21-44
- Education: High School Diploma or G.E.D. Certificate with 12 college credit hours (with a minimum 2.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale) or 24 months active duty in the U.S. military (with proof of honorable discharge - DD214 - Member 4 copy)
- Experience: None required
The following are required for exam eligibility:
- No Police Pre-Certification is required to take this exam. Must meet all legal requirements necessary to become eligible for future licensing by the Texas Commision on Law Enforcement (TCOLE).
- Must possess a current valid drivers license with acceptable driving record.
- Must be at least 21 years of age and meet all eligibility requirements of the Texas Local Government Code, Section 143.023 of the Texas Fire and Police Civil Service Law and Lancaster Local Rules. ***Note: Applicants over 44 years of age are ineligible to take the exam***
- High school diploma; OR G.E.D. Certificate with 12 college credit hours (with a minimum 2.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale); OR 24 months active duty in U.S. military (with proof of honorable discharge - DD214 - Member 4 copy).
- Must meet all physical requirements.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
Request more information
Thank you for your interest in this vacancy!