Volunteer Coordinator - Tempe Police Department
Tempe Police Department - Tempe, Arizona
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $49,888.00 annual
- Top Pay:
- $67,352.00 annual
Purpose: To actively support and uphold the City's stated mission and values. To plan, organize and implement the operations of the Police Department's volunteer program; and to perform a variety of tasks relative to the program.
Supervision Received & Exercised: Receives direction from a Police Commander or from other supervisory and management staff. May supervise part time, temporary and/or administrative staff.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Prepare and oversee volunteer program budget and lead volunteer program consisting of 100+ volunteers.
- Work with command staff to ensure alignment with volunteer program and Departmental goals and objectives.
- Ensure best practices and policies are in place to ensure appropriate levels of risk management for the volunteer program.
- Provide leadership to volunteer program work plan; monitor volunteer work assignments and projects; review work product along with methods and procedures.
- Encourage participation in the volunteer program by providing information to the public; interact with local media and provide news releases, brochures, and other promotional information; interact with community organizations in recruitment of volunteers.
- Select, train, supervise, and evaluate work of volunteer staff in the Volunteer Office.
- Screen, interview, and recommend volunteer applicants; conduct volunteer orientation; provide or coordinate volunteer training; ensure proper placement of volunteers.
- Provide training, consultation, and problem solving for supervisors of volunteers; serve as a liaison between volunteers and supervisors of volunteers.
- Develop and implement goals and objectives along with policies and procedures for the volunteer program.
- Prepare performance reports on operations and activities; maintain records of hours worked by volunteers and other related statistical information.
- Attend and participate in professional groups; committees; and meetings with command staff, department managers, and supervisors.
- Develop and coordinate recognition activities and events for volunteers.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Age: 18 and Over
- Education: See Below
- Experience: See Below
Experience: One year of program administration experience. Volunteer program administration/coordination especially in a public safety agency and/or two years of management experience is highly preferred.
Education: Equivalent to a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in business, public administration, social sciences, or a degree related to the core function of this position.
Licenses/Certifications: Requires the possession of a valid driver's license.
Examples of Physical and/or Mental Activities:
- Lift heavy objects.
- Operate city vehicles.
- Use tools.
- Work in a stationary position for considerable periods of time.
- Operates computers, calculators, and other office machines.
- Extensive reading and close vision work.
- May require working extended hours.
Job Code: 232
How to Apply:
Applicants are required to submit an application through the City of Tempe on-line application system.
www.tempe.gov/city-hall/human-resources/job-opportunities *click on the "regular jobs available" link*
Applicants whose experience and training most closely meet the needs of the city may be selected for further testing/interviews.
Falsifying information or lying during any stage of the selection/hiring process will make you ineligible for new or continued city employment.
- Minimum of 14 paid vacation days per year (depending upon length of service)
- 12 paid sick days per year
- 12 paid holidays per year
- Health, dental, life and vision coverage plans
- Up to $5,000 per year tuition reimbursement.
- Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS)