Santa Fe College Police Department - Gainesville, Florida
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $28,330.00 annual
Seeking Police Officers to perform campus law enforcement duties to ensure the protection of college personnel, property and equipment. An employee in a position in this class typically reports to a Police Sergeant and establishes a uniformed police officer presence on campus. Periodic contacts with students, personnel and law enforcement agencies are necessary in the performance of duties. This position requires the employee to be able to work varying hours (day and night) and shifts with periodic rotations and changing work schedules. Responsibilities and duties include:
- Patrol assigned areas and observe any unsafe or suspicious incidents taking appropriate action.
- Observe infractions or violations of college rules or procedures, or any laws or ordinances and take action as required.
- Write complete reports, in clear and accurate detail, of observations and actions taken.
- Enforce traffic laws ensuring parking restrictions are observed.
- Report unsafe conditions such as obstructions on streets or sidewalks, holes, leaking or faulty utility services, or other unusual conditions that might endanger public safety.
- Respond to any suspicious incidents, altercations or accidents which occur on college property.
- Investigate offenses which occur on college property.
- Participate in prosecutions by providing testimony and evidence.
- Provide assistance to other law enforcement agencies as needed.
- Provide customer service to all persons on college properties. This includes, for example, providing directions, information, and assistance with special events.
- Provide escort services for members of the college community and for bank deposits when needed.
- Perform building security checks and make random tours through buildings, and provide access to campus facilities.
- Dispatch calls for service and/or interact with the public in a front desk position.
- Attend and successfully complete in-service training as required by the department.
Candidates must achieve a passing score on the State Officer Certification Examination (except for Auxiliary Officer Certification Examination) prior to an employment offer being extended. Candidates must pass the department background investigation, a physical examination and drug testing. Candidates must possess a valid Florida Driver’s License. Work may require performance of tasks outdoors under varying climatic conditions and performing tasks in and around heavy traffic. Work requires extensive walking, physical strength and agility. Applicant must meet all applicable physical standards required by Santa Fe College Police Department, which may include being required to complete a physical agility course within specific time parameters. Knowledge of current principles and practices of law enforcement, of college rules and procedures, and of local ordinances and state laws are required. The ability to react quickly and calmly in emergencies, to observe situations analytically and objectively, to carry out verbal and written instructions, to deal courteously, yet firmly, tactfully, and impartially with the public, and to demonstrate proficiency in the high liability skills defined by the Florida Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission are required. This position involves access to sensitive information and ability to maintain confidentiality is essential. Knowledge of crime prevention and/or community policing concepts preferred. A criminal background check will be conducted.
Applicants who feel they qualify for the above position should make application and provide a copy of certification to Human Resources office by the application deadline.
The College reserves the right to extend deadlines and/or not to offer advertised positions.
Preference will be given to eligible veterans and spouses of veterans.
- Age: 20+
- Education: High School
- Experience: Florida Police Certified