Winter Park Police Department - Winter Park, Florida
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $43,494.00 annual
- Top Pay:
- $62,801.00 annual
Under general supervision of a designated supervisor, performs a wide variety of police and law enforcement activities. Tasks are primarily service oriented and include dispensing information, arbitrating disputes, providing assistance through referrals, property protection, crime prevention, traffic, detective, investigative, and other public safety services. Officers perform duties in accordance with State Statutes and established departmental policies, procedures, and guidelines. Officers must be able to act without close supervision and must be able to exercise independent judgment. Work is reviewed through observation, conferences and review of written reports for results obtained and adherence to established policies and procedures.
· Conduct routine preventative patrol in designated areas of the City; patrol residential/business areas for detection of violators; initiate contacts with commercial property owners, employees, and residents; maintain an open-line of communication within the community.
· Respond to calls for police service; resolve domestic disputes, disturbances and other incidents through counseling or referral; settle disputes among neighbors, juveniles and/or gangs; resolve any and all complaints from citizens of the community.
· Provide information and/or assistance to the public; answer a wide range of non-police related service calls; inform citizens of available services in the community; promote crime prevention through community and educational programs; make presentations to public and local organizations concerning crime prevention and related police matters.
· Maintain the peace and safety of the community; respond to public disturbances; maintain civil obedience at group functions.
· Provide for the safe and convenient flow of traffic and pedestrians within the community; investigate traffic accidents; provide first aid; enforce traffic violations; conduct DUI investigations; promote vehicular and pedestrian safety; report unsafe road conditions.
· Conduct criminal and non-criminal investigations; perform surveillance; conduct follow-up investigations.
· Enforce laws and arrest lawbreakers; make felony and misdemeanor arrests; issue Notices to Appear and traffic citations.
· Prepare written reports, forms, and other documents.
· Testify in criminal court proceedings; give depositions.
· Provide support and assistance to other police officers, public safety employees and city employees; assist in the training and development of other employees.
· Perform community relations activities; clean and maintain department issued equipment and vehicle.
NOTE: The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning specific duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
- Age: 19
- Education: High School Diploma/GED which meets state standards
- Experience: See below
Applicants must meet at least one of the following requirements to be eligible to take part in the application process:
Be currently employed as a law enforcement officer in the state of Florida
Be currently employed as a law enforcement officer in another state
Have successfully completed a law enforcement academy in the state of Florida
Be currently attending a law enforcement academy in the state of Florida
· U.S. Citizen
· Minimum age: 19
· High School Diploma/GED which meets state standards; college coursework preferred.
· Possess a valid Florida driver’s license.
· Good physical condition.
· Vision requirements: correctable to 20/20.
· Good moral character.
· No felony convictions.
· No misdemeanor convictions involving moral character, perjury of false statements as outlined in Florida Statutes.
· Successfully pass Civil Service Hiring Standards.
· Successfully pass polygraph and psychological exam.
Employees in this position are required to pass the National Incident Management System (NIMS) IS-700 within 30 days of employment and the ICS-100 within 60 days of employment.
For more information www.wppd.org/employment/sworn.asp
Request more information
Thank you for your interest in this vacancy!