Recruit/Lateral Police Officer
Anchorage Police Department - Anchorage, Alaska
Feb 19, 2020
- Application Deadline:
- Feb 1, 2021
- Entry Level:
- $70,948.80 annual
- Lateral Transfer:
- $70,948.80 - $95,201.60 annual
- Top Pay:
- $105,248 annual
The Anchorage Police Department is currently accepting applications for Recruit Police Officer, In-State Lateral Police Officer, and Out-of-State Lateral Police Officer. (Click on below Position Title for Current Job Posting)
Applicants are hired for an approximately 26 week academy starting in either June or December. Successful applicants receive full pay and benefits in the academy.
Applicants are hired for an approximately 2 week lateral academy. Pay incentive will be at a higher step based on time in service.
Applicants must be certified with Alaska Police Standards Council as a Police Officer within the last five years to be eligible.
Applicants are hired for an approximately 6 week lateral academy. Pay incentive will be at a higher step based on time in service.
Applicants must have successfully completed a state certified training academy with at least 650 hours, must have at least one year of experience from a full-service law enforcement agency, and must now or have been certified within five years as a police officer in their jurisdiction to be eligible.
Education Incentives: Paid Tuition and Books, 4% pay increase for Associate’s Degree, 8% pay increase for Bachelor’s Degree.
Health/Medical Benefits: Medical/Dental/Vision/Audio, Life Insurance, Dependent Life Insurance, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Flexible Spending Accounts, Health Savings Accounts.
Employer Paid Benefits: Employee Assistance Program, 5.4 weeks of Annual Leave Plan, 4 weeks of Sick Leave Plan, 12 Paid Holiday Days.
Additional Benefits: Take Home Car, Uniform and Equipment Provided, Clothing and Equipment Allowance, Uniform Cleaning Provided.
Retirement: Alaska Public Employees’ Defined Contribution Retirement Plan (PERS DCR), Voluntary 401(k) up to 2% employer match, Voluntary 457 Deferred Compensation Plan.
- Age: 21
- Education: High school diploma, GED, or equivalent
- Experience: Entry
- Must be a citizen of the USA by date of hire
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent
- Must be at least 21 years old by date of hire
- Must possess a valid State of Alaska driver's license by date of hire
- Must meet Alaska Police Standards Council (APSC) and Anchorage Police Department (APD) standards regarding misdemeanor and/or felony convictions, traffic violations and use of controlled substances. Such as:
- No felony convictions after reaching the age of 18
- No marijuana use within the past one (1) year
- Refer to the Background Investigation information in the Notice Section for further, specific details.
- Must be able to obtain APSC certification within 13 months of hire (AS 18.65.240).
- Alaska Public Safety Information Network (APSIN) / National Crime Information Center (NCIC) certification within thirty (30) days of hire.
- Satisfactory Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS) background check at time of hire
Applicants for this position will possess the following qualities:
- Unquestionable character and integrity
- Free of cultural and ethnic bias
- Strong ethical code in both personal and professional life
- Desire to diligently protect and serve the community through courage, compassion and respect
- Personal conduct above reproach
APD Recruitment Team