City of Lenexa, Kansas - Lenexa, Kansas
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level:
- $$47,822 - $58,110 dependent on qualifications and directly related experience annual
We are currently accepting applications for a Crime Analyst in our Lenexa Police Department. We are looking for a candidate who has strong IT and computer skills, as well as analytic and predictive thinking to predict, track and inform crime identification and prevention techniques used by the department. Must have excellent communication skills, both verbally and in written format and be able to work independently.
The Lenexa Police Department hires highly motivated men and women who enjoy working with the public and delivering the highest level of professional police services. We are an agency with an exceptional reputation and have been identified as a nation-wide leader in the law enforcement community. We strongly believe in providing our employees with opportunities for both professional and personal development.
The Crime Analyst collects, categorizes, and analyzes qualitative and quantitative data pertaining to past and current criminal activity; prepares and disseminates reports using various illustrative and statistical methods and makes recommendations pertaining to existing and anticipated criminal activity to internal departments and external agencies.
Duties include analyzing, interpreting and making deductions from various data sources to identify current and future crime patterns or trends, examines and provides recommendations regarding all reported crimes, gathers local crime reports, identifies and applies modern practices based on current trends in the crime analysis profession. Provide accurate, timely and relevant analysis of crime patterns and trends that aid the Police Department, City and partnering agency resources. Function as a liaison with other police agencies to exchange and update information on criminal activity and preventions, and attend area-wide meetings with other agencies to share information about crimes and makes public speaking appearances as necessary in support of activities.
· High School diploma or GED
· Bachelor’s degree in related field, or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities
· Three years’ experience in crime analysis work or related statistical social services research preferred.
· Possess, be able to attain, or demonstrate skills and abilities equivalent to the Microsoft Office Specialist certification in the current versions of Microsoft Suite Products (specifically Excel and Power Point).
· Valid driver’s license with good driving record.
· Ability to achieve advanced knowledge of and working proficiency in various information system platforms including, but not limited to, the Police Department’s Records Management system, Computer Aided Dispatch system, ARC GIS mapping software, Microsoft Office applications, programs and applications developed by PD-IT staff, and crime analysis tools and systems used regionally;
· Successful completion of job and field-related training requested or required by the Department, specifically the International Association of Crimes Analysts (IACA Essential Skills Certification I & II programs)
· Ability to develop, edit and maintain databases and spreadsheets;
· Proficiency in current intelligence analysis techniques;
· Ability to read, analyze and interpret professional journals, technical and legal information and government regulations;
Compensation and benefits
Hiring range is from $47,822 to $58,110 dependent on qualifications and directly related experience. The City offers a highly competitive compensation package including health, dental, life, short-term disability; state defined benefit pension plan, city matching defined contribution retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, access to an on-site health clinic and much more. Offers of employment are conditional upon successful completion of pre-employment physical, drug screen and background check.
To apply please continue and complete an online application. Be sure to attach your cover letter and resume reflecting any work history you may have during the past 10 years. The City of Lenexa is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EOE.
- Age: 21
- Education: High School or G.E.D. and Bachelor's degree related field or any equivalent combination of training & experience
- Experience: Three years