Certified Police Officer
Sworn US Law Enforcement
City of Goose Creek - Goose Creek, South Carolina
Jan 6, 2020
- Application Deadline:
- Aug 31, 2020
- Entry Level:
- $Varies annual
Certified Police Officer - The CITY OF GOOSE cREEK
This is a great opportunity to work in a growing, friendly police department with advancement opportunities. The City offers an excellent benefits package and team environment.
This position is responsible for providing police services to the public for the purpose of maintaining public order and safety.
++ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS++
- Patrols areas within the City limits and enforces state and local laws; investigates crimes against persons and property and traffic accidents; apprehends and arrests criminals; serves warrants, subpoenas and other writs; processes bookings and photographs.
- Promotes good public relations and performs such duties as providing house security checks, emergency protection, providing escorts through the City, conducting security stand-by and providing money escorts.
- Engages in Community Oriented Policing activities.
- Provides information and assistance to the public.
- Prepares and presents cases in court.
- Responds to emergency alarms as needed to include burglar alarms, armed robberies, assaults, domestic violence and prowler calls.
- Deescalates situations to include counseling youth, suicidal subjects, mental subjects, married persons or persons in relationships, people in crisis, persons with weapons, and homicidal subjects.
- Prosecutes cases in courtroom settings.
- Identifies mental illnesses, and acts accordingly on a case by case basis.
- Serves as a guardian to those in need such as young children, the elderly, those with mental or physical illnesses, or anyone who does not have the ability to care for themselves.
- Receives, reviews, processes, files and submits various reports and records including incident reports, supplement reports, accident reports, booking reports, witness statements, activity sheets, various forms and records, training reports and affidavits.
- Performs crime scene processing as necessary.
- Rolls fingerprints for criminals and citizens.
- Utilizes problem solving skills to meet peaceable resolutions to all parties involved in a given incident.
- Operates computers with a wide variety of applications and functions.
- Assists other law enforcement agencies as needed.
- Performs desk and dispatch duties as needed.
- Serves as back up to co-workers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy certification or another state's law enforcement training academy, B.L.E.T. or P.O.S.T. required.
- Any combination of education and experience totaling two (2) years is acceptable.
- Valid South Carolina Driver's License.
- SFST and Datamaster certifications.
++KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES++
- Knowledge of local, state and federal criminal and civil law.
- Knowledge of the procedures, guidelines and equipment used in law enforcement activities.
- Knowledge of the geographic layout of the City.
- Knowledge of controlled substances, and various chemicals which could cause hospitalization or death, if handled incorrectly.
- Skill in implementation and enforcement of polices and guidelines.
- Skill in the use of firearms and other specialized law enforcement equipment.
- Ability to successfully complete police officer certification through the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy.
- Ability to use computers and various software programs, to include Word and Excel.
- Ability to obtain DataMaster and RADAR/LIDAR certifications.
- Ability to work under pressure, in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
The work is heavy and requires exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and up to 50 pounds of force to move objects and the following physical abilities: balancing, climbing, crawling, crouching, feeling, fingering, grasping, handling, hearing, kneeling, lifting, mental acuity, pulling, pushing, reaching, repetitive motion, speaking, standing, stooping, talking, visual acuity, and walking.
The work is typically performed in the field exposed to inclement weather and traffic. The work requires the use of protective devices. Employee is exposed to hostile and volatile situations and may be exposed to situations that are life-threatening.
Police Recruiting Video Link
The Goose Creek Supplemental Police Application attached to the listing must be completed and submitted in order to be considered for this position.
This position is for a currently certified police officer, preferably LE1 in the State of South Carolina.
IF A CONDITIONAL OFFER OF EMPLOYMENT IS MADE, APPLICANT(S) MUST SUCCESSFULLY PASS A BACKGROUND SCREENING, PRE-EMPLOYMENT DRUG TEST AND PHYSICAL (IF REQUIRED BY THE POSITION). ADDITIONAL TESTING IS REQUIRED FOR SPECIFIED POSITIONS AND POLICE DEPARTMENT APPLICANTS.
Goose Creek, the municipality that Business Week called the best place to raise a family in South Carolina, is located minutes from the international tourist destination of Charleston, and the pristine beaches of coastal South Carolina. The Goose Creek Fire Department services 45,000 residents within the corporate limits of the City of Goose Creek. Located 30 minutes outside Charleston, the City of Goose Creek offers pay incentives for additional certifications, training, excellent benefits package, $5,000 tuition reimbursement program, We have advancement opportunities to work with K9, traffic teams, SWAT, etc. in our growing department. The City offers vacation/sick/holiday/wellness paid time off, wellness incentives and much more!
Please visit the City's website at www.cityofgoosecreek.com for information. Please apply at:
The Goose Creek Supplemental Police Application must be completed and required documentation submitted in order to be considered for this position. This is the link to copy and paste into your url browser.
Police Recruiting Video Link
- Age: 21
- Education: High school
- Experience: Must be a Certified Police Officer
This posting is for a SC Criminal Academy Justice Graduate with a LE-1 Certification or similar certification from a police academy in another state.
Police work is very challenging, inherently dangerous, but is rewarding to those who commit to a career of public service. As such, the City of Goose Creek considers only the best qualified candidates who have demonstrated positive character and integrity in their personal and professional lives to fill our police officer vacancies.