Baltimore City Police Department - Baltimore City, Maryland
Nov 27, 2019
- Application Deadline:
- Dec 30, 2021
- Entry Level:
- $$53,512 annual
- Academy Graduate:
- $53,512 annual
- Lateral Transfer:
- $Varies annual
- Top Pay:
- $92,548 annual
Police Officers are sworn members who are twenty one years of age or older. As a uniformed Baltimore Police Officer, you are assigned to patrol a neighborhood by vehicle or on foot. Employees in this class work rotating shifts including evening, weekends and holiday hours. In this capacity, you respond to emergency and non-emergency calls for service and promote the safety of the public and of fellow police officers. You will be a proactive member of our Department, engaging in community-oriented policing, traffic enforcement, and on occasion, special details.
- Starting yearly salary for Baltimore Police Officers is $53,512.00 Top officers can earn up to $92,548.00.
- Retirement - Pension after 25 years of service is 60% of sworn member’s salary.
- Excellent Health Insurance to include prescription, dental and vision.
- Paid, entry-level, academy training and field training
- Tuition Reimbursement.
- Pay incentives for Bachelor’s Degrees.
- Equipment provided at no cost.
- Option to participate in tax-deferred, 457B retirement plan (Deferred Compensation), which can be used to supplement income upon retirement.
- Additional vacation leave is available to members who do not use medical leave.
Opportunities for Advancement
After serving in the Patrol Division, officers are afforded numerous opportunities to expand their law enforcement career in one of the many specialized units that the Baltimore Police Department offers: Narcotics, K-9, SWAT, Criminal and Gang Intelligence, Community Collaboration Division, Family Crimes, Child Abuse, Sex Offense, Cyber and Electronic Crimes, Homicide, Robbery, Mounted, Traffic, and many more.
After completing 3 years of service, officers are eligible to take the Sergeant’s examination. Sergeants are eligible to take the Lieutenant’s examination after completing 2 years of service as a Sergeant.
Sergeants’ yearly salary ranges from $79,115.00 to $100,228.00
Lieutenants’ yearly salary ranges from $91,533.00 to $113,936.00.
Online Baltimore Police Department Application
National Testing Network Exam
Veterans and Service Members
The Baltimore Police Department appreciates the service performed by members of the United States military. Veterans and service members are eligible for the following benefits:
Military Veterans who have served 3 years of active duty can retire at (22) years at 60%.
15 days of paid annual military leave for members of the Active Reserves and National Guard.
Eligible to receive full Montgomery G.I. Bill benefits while completing the 26-week academy.
- Age: 20.9
- Education: High School Diploma / GED
- Experience: N/A
Applicants must have at the least the following qualifications to begin the process:
Must be a U.S. citizen
Possess a valid driver’s full license
Must be 20 years of age and 9 months upon beginning the academy
Must have a high school diploma or GED.
Must possess English language proficiency.
Must be able to pass an extensive background check.
Applicants do not need to be a Maryland resident.
Needed Documents for Background Investigation
* Applicants will need the following documents for the background investigation.
* All documents must be in English or translated to English by a certified replicable company.
* Applicants should ensure they have original documents as well as copies. These forms include:
- Birth certificate or naturalization papers (If applicable)
- High school diploma, GED, college diploma, or official letter from the school verifying graduation date*
- Official high school transcripts and/or college transcripts *
- Selective service registration (males only)
- Form DD214 from the military *
- Marriage license and/or divorce decree (If applicable)
- Valid Driver’s license, Vehicle Registration, and Driver’s Insurance
- Current certified driving record
- Social security card
- Credit Report
- Court documents
- Pay stub (If applicable)
- Certificates (If Applicable)
*APPLICANTS SHOULD START OBTAINING THESE PARTICULAR DOCUMENTS FIRST BECAUSE THEY SOMETIMES TAKE THE LONGEST TO OBTAIN.
Disqualifiers (Not all inclusive)
- Driving Record: not to exceed three (3) points
- Poor Driver’s Record
- DWI/DUI conviction within the last 5 Years
- *Military Record: Separation less than Honorable
- Arrest Record: Any Felony Convictions
- Currently on Parole or Probation. All misdemeanor charges must be expunged
- Applicants are ineligible if they have illegally used a controlled dangerous substance, narcotic drug, or marijuana for any purpose within 3 years (36 months).
- Medical History: Must be mentally and physically qualified
- Integrity: Being truthful is utmost important; telling a lie or altering the truth at any stage of the process will disqualify your current and any future applications
Recruitment Section Members (all) Recruiting Detectives (all)