Police Sergeant (00118A)
Old Dominion University Police Department - Norfolk, Virginia
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level:
- $54,300 annual
The University Police Department at Old Dominion University (Norfolk, VA) is seeking candidates for Law Enforcement Officer II:
Objective: This position will supervise and assist subordinate officers/investigators in the performance of their duties. This includes providing critical first-line supervisory presence for a shift of uniformed patrol officers ensuring jurisdictional patrol to prevent, detect and investigate criminal acts, or shifts of detectives providing critical investigative services, and case management.
· Considerable experience as a general authority law enforcement officer.
· Advanced knowledge of and skill in modern police practices and methods.
· Ability to learn state statutes, motor vehicle statutes, city ordinances and ODU regulations.
· Ability to obtain police officer certification as mandated by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services within one year of hire.
· Must possess the demonstrated ability to enforce the law equally amongst all persons.
· Must have excellent leadership qualities, and ability to manage program components as well as supervise subordinates.
· Must possess ability to train subordinates, organize assets, and possess superior communication skills, especially writing skills.
· Ability to evaluate subordinate work products and take corrective action where necessary.
· Ability to plan, organize and direct law enforcement operations.
· Ability to pass an extensive background investigation.
· Must have a valid driver’s license and insurable record.
· High School Diploma or GED.
· Must successfully complete a specified law enforcement training school within one year of hire and become certified by the VA Department of Criminal Justice Services, if not already police officer certified, which includes the passing of an extensive background investigation, physical ability test and psychological testing.
· CPR and First Aid certification.
· Must complete, or have completed, a first-line supervisory training course within the first year of employment.
- Age: 21
- Education: High School Diploma or GED.
- Experience: Considerable experience as a general authority law enforcement officer.
· Certified as a law enforcement officer in State of Virginia.
· Associates degree or higher from an accredited college or university in a subject field related to law enforcement.
· Completion of a first-line supervisory law enforcement course.
· Experience as a law enforcement supervisor, specifically with a university police department of similar size and complexity.
· DCJS General Instructor Certification.
· CPR, First Aid, VCIN/NCIC certifications.
This position closes October 25, 2019. To review position requirements and submit an application, please visit <a href=http://jobs.odu.edu/postings/11047". and follow the online instructions.
Old Dominion University does not discriminate in admissions, treatment, employment or access to its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), political affiliation, veteran status, family medical and genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or disability. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.