Deputy Sheriff (Academy)
San Francisco Sheriff's Office - San Francisco, California
Jan 3, 2019
- Application Deadline:
- Dec 31, 2020
- Entry Level:
- $95602 annual
A Deputy Sheriff [Academy] performs a variety of law enforcement duties including but not limited to the custody and supervision of inmates in the San Francisco County Jail system, administering alternative programs to incarceration, general law enforcement duties and patrol operations. Employees may be assigned to any one of the following divisions:
- Custody Operations
- Field Operations
- Administration and Programs
- Planning and Projects
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following: Booking and processing inmates; controlling and supervising the activities of inmates; operating communication equipment; monitoring and controlling movement of all personnel and vehicles entering and exiting facilities; maintaining internal and perimeter jail, court or building security; preparing and maintaining records; responding to disturbances and emergencies; preserving evidence and chain of custody at crime and emergency scenes; patrolling on foot and in vehicles, watching for indications of illegal or unauthorized activities and contraband; testifying in court and at hearings; conducting criminal investigations; completing detailed and accurate reports; administering alternatives to incarceration, ensuring program participation and returning offenders to custody as authorized by law; responding to public inquiries in a professional manner; implementing crime prevention strategies; and performing other general law enforcement duties as required. This position requires shift work, weekend/holiday work and overtime.
Appointment to class 8302 Deputy Sheriff [Academy] is for the period required to complete the POST Basic entry-level Academy. All appointees must satisfactorily complete a California Peace Officers Standards and Training (POST) Basic Academy and a Sheriff’s Department entry-level training program within the time prescribed by the department. Failure to successfully complete these requirements or failure to perform satisfactorily on the job will be cause for release from appointment. If an applicant possesses a POST Basic Academy certificate, the certificate must meet the requirements as set forth in this examination announcement.
Appointees who have successfully completed a POST Basic Academy in class 8302 Deputy Sheriff [Academy] will advance to Class 8504 Deputy Sheriff. A probationary period of 2,080 scheduled hours [WKP] worked, including legal holiday pay [LHP] will be required upon advancement to class 8504. The salary range for 8504 Deputy Sheriff is available at
Follow this link and apply today:
- Age: Applicant must be at least 20 years old.
- Education: Applicants must possess a U.S. high school diploma or have passed an equivalency test (GED or California High School Proficiency Examination), or possess a two-year or four-year degree or higher from an accredited college or university.
- Experience: One (1) year (equivalent to 2,080 hours) of any verifiable and satisfactory work experience, or one (1) complete year of any verifiable course work from an accredited U.S. college or university, or an equivalent combination.
Applicants must be a United States citizen at the time of appointment.
JUDICIAL RECORD: Applicants must NOT have been:
- Convicted of a felony;
- Convicted of any misdemeanor that carries a penalty of prohibiting ownership, possession or control of a firearm;
- Convicted of an offense involving domestic violence; or
- Restricted from employment with the City & County of San Francisco.
DRIVER LICENSE: Applicants must possess and maintain a valid driver license at the time of appointment.
SFSO Recruitment Unit