Maine police chief's BWC captures massive propane tank explosion
A volunteer firefighter suffered facial burns
By Nick McCrea
Bangor Daily News
LIMESTONE, Maine — A volunteer firefighter suffered facial burns when a propane tank explosion engulfed him in flames last week.
Limestone police Chief Stacey Mahan posted the dramatic video of the explosion, which was captured on his body camera, Sunday on social media.
Firefighters went to a property on Main Street on Thursday afternoon, where a fire had broken out in a wooded area near propane tanks.
Fire Scene 06-08-2017
This is a clip from my body camera at the fire that occurred here in Limestone on 06-08-2017. This video is of when the explosion took place. Those who choose to be a firefighter whether full time or as a volunteer know the hazards of the job. I commend those that want to, "put the wet stuff on the red stuff" and lay their lives on the line each and every time they head out. This incident is a prime example of how things can change in an instant. Limestone Police Chief Stacey J. Mahan You know the old saying, "Why did God make Firefighters?"....."so cops could have heroes."Posted by Limestone Police Department on Sunday, June 11, 2017
Firefighter Scott Patten was trying to keep the blaze under control when one of the tanks exploded, sending flames shooting toward him. The blast sent Mahan and another firefighter standing next to a nearby firetruck to the ground. Patten was able to walk away from the blast on his own.
Patten was taken to Cary Medical Center in Caribou. He was released the next day, after being treated for first- and second-degree burns to his face, according to the fire department.
©2017 the Bangor Daily News
McClatchy-Tribune News Service