Safariland Adds Another NIJ Standard-0101.06 Model to its Family of Armor Solutions
New model from the Safariland™ ABA® Xtreme® Series offers high performance concealable protection
The HP01 Type II is part of the ABA, Xtreme Series for concealable armor. The HP01 Type II is a hybrid armor design featuring Geometric™ technology and Curv® framing. In addition, the HP01 combines state-of-the-art ballistic material with the high performance of Honeywell® Gold Shield®, the increased tensile strength of DSM Dyneema® and the trusted performance of Twaron® Microlaminate ballistic materials. The combination of its armor technology and ballistic materials provide enhanced ballistic performance and reinforced protection along the spine, sternum and lower torso. The HP01 Type II is one of our lightest, thinnest body armor vests available today.
“The legacy of Xtreme continues with our latest high performance, thin and lightweight HP01,” said Scott O’Brien, President of Safariland. “Standing on this legacy, the Xtreme Series HP01 is one of the most desirable armor models available under our current family of armor solutions. We are proud of the continued growth of our armor product line and the benefits it continues to offer the law enforcement community.”
The NIJ introduced the Ballistic Resistance of Body Armor NIJ Standard-0101.06 to establish minimum performance requirements and test methods for the ballistic resistance of personal body armor. The standard provides improved performance of body armor so that officers receive adequate protection against those threats likely faced over the next decade. According to the new NIJ-06 standard, body armor must now be able to defend against increased velocities of ammunition calibers to better reflect current street threats and law enforcement duty weapons. These new performance requirements are critical components to improving the life-protecting equipment being used by law enforcement today.
All Safariland concealable armor models are certified using NIJ approved size templates C1 and C5, which offer law enforcement the widest range of production sizes available. In addition to these models, the following Safariland products are available and posted to the NIJ Compliant Products List (CPL) at http://www.justnet.org/Pages/06_CPL.aspx:
ABA - Xtreme Series
FC01 Type II – Tested against the 9mm & .357 mag. threats, this model provides advanced ballistic protection in a lightweight, hybrid design.
- • FC01 Type IIIA – Tested against the .357 Sig. & .44 mag. threats, this model provides advanced ballistic protection in a lightweight, hybrid design.
- • BR01 Type IIA – Tested against the 9mm & .40 cal. threats, this model provides optimum ballistic performance in a durable, robust design.
- • BR01 Type II - Tested against the 9mm & .357 mag. threats, this model provides optimum ballistic performance in a durable, robust design.
- • BR01 Type IIIA – Tested against the .357 Sig & .44 mag. threats, this model provides optimum ballistic performance in a durable, robust design. The BR01 will also be offered as part of the PROTECH® Tactical series.
Second Chance® - Summit™ Series
- • SM01 Type II – Tested against the 9mm & .357 threats, the SM01 provides optimum ballistic performance and flexibility
- • SM01 Type IIIA – Tested against the .357 Sig & .44 mag. threats, provides optimum ballistic performance and is one of our most flexible armor models. The SM01 will also be offered as part of the PROTECH Tactical series.
Second Chance - Monarch® Series
- • MN01 Type IIA – Tested against the 9mm & .40 cal. threats, this model provides optimum affordability and performance.
Second Chance - Prism® Series
- • MT01 Type IIIA, Spike 3 – Multi-threat armor model tested against the .357 Sig and .44 mag. for ballistic protection and against a spike instrument with a strike energy of 31.7 ft lbf (43 Joules) for stab protection.
Also featured as part of the Second Chance Prism Series are its spike-only vests. These armor models are tested against NIJ Standard-0115.00 and include:
- • PS-1.0 – For spike 1 protection.
• PS-2.2 – For spike 2 protection.
• PS-3.0 – For spike 3 protection.
Safariland’s body armor models combine the heritage and expertise of American Body Armor®, Second Chance, SAVVY® and PROTECH. In doing so, Safariland offers the most comprehensive line of body armor available in the industry. Safariland’s NIJ-06 body armor provides law enforcement officers with enhanced performance, durability, comfort and value, which deliver on the company’s motto: Together, We Save Lives™.
Safariland, LLC is a premier provider of law enforcement and security products and services, delivering a full-range of customer-specific solutions. Offering many of the world’s most recognizable branded products in the public safety market, Safariland is committed to saving lives. For more information about Safariland and its body armor products, as well as information on the new NIJ-06 standard, please visit www.safariland.com.
About BAE Systems
BAE Systems is a global defense, security and aerospace company with approximately 107,000 employees worldwide. The Company delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. In 2009 BAE Systems reported sales of £22.4 billion (US$ 36.2 billion).