Looking for a few good recruits
By Emilie Raguso
The Modesto Bee, Calif.
MODESTO, Calif. — Mention staffing levels to police and sheriff's deputies and expect to hear a unified groan.
"It's a very competitive market right now," said Stanislaus County Undersheriff William Heyne. "There are a lot of vacancies. It's difficult to find qualified candidates."
Everything from applicants excluded by background checks to the "Generation Y Factor" to the impact of the Iraq war have left many local agencies struggling to fill their ranks.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Looking for a few good recruits
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy