Cop fired over Web site sworn in as Detroit officer
By M.L. Elrick
Detroit Free Press
DETROIT — John Bennett, an outspoken cop whose Web site became a favorite destination for those intrigued with the machinations of city politics, was sworn in as a Detroit police officer today.
Bennett, 45, was fired 4 1/2 years ago after he refused an order from then-Chief Jerry Oliver to shut down his Web site, www.firejerryo.com. Oliver, a favorite target of Bennett, eventually quit amid a controversy created when he failed to declare a handgun packed in bags for a flight out of Metro Airport.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms