Okla. police recruit dies from injury at academy
Oklahoma City Police said no firearms were involved in the incident
By PoliceOne Staff
OKLAHOMA CITY — A police recruit died from an injury suffered at training academy, officials said.
Kelley Chase, 38, sustained a head injury Saturday as he participated in training in self-defense, District Attorney David Prater said in a statement. He was rushed to the ICU at Mercy hospital, where he died later that day.
Oklahoma City Police said no firearms were involved in the incident. The recruit spent 20 years serving the United States military before joining the academy.
"He made the decision to leave the military and pursue his law enforcement career because he wanted to be home with his children and wife," Prater said.
"We have lost a true hero."
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms