Mayor blasts use of 'The Third Jihad' during NYPD training
Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne says that the movie was not approved for training courses and that the decision to play it was made by a sergeant
NEW YORK — New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg says police used terrible judgment when they showed a film about Muslims during counterterrorism training seminars.
Bloomberg said Tuesday that police had stopped showing the movie, "The Third Jihad." It discusses extremists and their plans for establishing an Islamic regime.
Police documents obtained by a think tank at New York University say the movie was shown on a continuous loop while officers were signing in for counterterrorism training in late 2010. Nearly 1,500 officers may have seen the movie. Police originally said only a few officers had seen it.
Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne says that the movie was not approved for training courses and that the decision to play it was made by a sergeant. He said she had been reprimanded.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court