NY K-9 dies after collapsing during training
K-9 Axe had just completed training with his handler, Officer Michael McDonald, when he collapsed
By PoliceOne Staff
MIDDLETOWN, N.Y. — A police K-9 died Tuesday after collapsing during a training exercise.
The Times Herald-Record reports K-9 Axe had just completed training with his handler, Officer Michael McDonald, when he collapsed.
Axe was rushed to a veterinary hospital but was pronounced dead on arrival.
Both the K-9 and his trainer were due to graduate from the Orange County Sheriff's Office K-9 Training Center in July. Axe had never shown prior problems, according to the report.
"Many of you have been calling because you may have heard lights and sirens for miles this afternoon. It was our officers attempting to get our newest K9 member, Axe, to his vet during a medical emergency while training. We relay to you that the efforts to regain consciousness were not successful and Axe has passed away. We are deeply saddened by this loss and thank you for your support," Middletown police said in a Facebook post.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman