Video: Slain officer speaks of faith vs. police work
Memphis officer Timothy Warren posted a video to YouTube in the months before he was fatally shot
By PoliceOne Staff
MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A Memphis officer who was fatally shot in a hotel last week had posted a YouTube video in March that captured his thoughts on the occasional conflict between his religious faith and the demands of police work.
Timothy Warren bypassed roll call Sunday night and rushed to respond to a "shots fired" call at a Memphis hotel, where a gunman shot him in the head in a stairwell.
In the video, images of police, nature, and religion flash across the screen, and Warren narrates, questioning when to give lawbreakers second chances and when to focus on enforcement.
"I pray both paths can merge without yielding," he says.
Warren, who studied philosophy, was analytical, professional, and outspoken about his beliefs, his friends and family told the Commercial Appeal.
"He loved his job," said his best friend, Jerome Gray. "He told me: 'I'd give my life for my fellow officers.' And that's what he did."
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Va. sheriff’s office forced to remove 'blessed are the peacemakers' decals
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert