NYPD cop kills self after making robbery arrest
The officer told colleagues he was heading downstairs and would be back, but never returned
By PoliceOne Staff
BROOKLYN — Brooklyn police are in shock after learning a fellow officer shot himself in the head in a vehicle after returning to the 66th Precinct stationhouse from making a robbery arrest.
Police haven’t released the sergeant’s name or any further details of his death. One source said there was no indication that the officer was suicidal.
“We’re all a little bit shell-shocked and saddened,” a high-ranking police source told NY Daily News.
The officer told colleagues he was going downstairs to get something and would be right back and never returned, according to the New York Post. He was found slumped over in a vehicle across the street some time later.
The sergeant was about to receive his detective shield, sources said. He was transferred to the 66th Precinct from the 78th Precinct in Park Slope within the past few days.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house