Video: Cash-strapped chief is TASERed at fundraiser
The small department shares one police vehicle, the chief hopes this fundraiser will help to purchase two more
By Ann Keil
KNIGHTSTOWN, Ind. — Knightstown's police chief agreed to be hit with a Taser to raise money for new police cruisers. His department is relying on one cruiser, and one Humvee, that would be used in the more rural areas in an emergency.
“I have three full-time, five part-time, and nine reserves, and we all have to use the same car,” said Knightstown Police Chief Danny Baker.
He was shot with the Taser in a middle school gym on Wednesday, and the town clerk treasurer followed for what also became a teaching tool for young kids. A K9 officer also showed the crowd what his partner could do.
The chief said he believes he raised $39,000 with this rare fundraising event, but he need $66,000 to buy two police cruisers, which is his goal.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- Va. sheriff’s office forced to remove 'blessed are the peacemakers' decals
- Actor Tom Hanks is on the beat, flagging car for police