Campaign raises funds to outfit NY K-9s with vests
Nearly every dog in Broome County will receive a ballistic vest thanks to a Groupon and Vested Interests in K-9s
By Perry Russom
FENTON, N.Y. — In just a matter of seconds, a police dog goes from the back of the car to hunting down a potentially dangerous suspect.
What started as an online campaign of $10 donations on Groupon by Vested Interest in K-9s, Inc., has resulted in almost all police dogs in the county with bullet and stab-proof protection.
"Police officers are wearing our vests, the dogs should have vests as well," said Brian Berdine, K-9 officer at the Johnson City Police Department. "Without them, you're basically putting a dog in harm’s way doing the same job as a police officer."
All vests given out this month will be in memory of K-9 Rocco from the Pittsburgh Police Department.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman