SF cop gets flight upgrade from generous donor
The man explained that giving up his seat was his way of saying thank you to those who serve
By Patti Lee
SAN FRANCISCO — San Francisco police officer Jessie Ortiz is one of dozens of unsuspecting passengers who recently enjoyed an upgrade from coach to first class thanks to a stranger.
"A flight attendant approaches me and goes 'Mr. Ortiz you've been upgraded. Here's your first class seat.' And I go 'Huh?'" Ortiz laughed as he told the story to KTVU.
Ortiz said the flight attendant pointed out a man in a wheelchair as the generous donor. Ortiz tried to talk him out of giving up his seat but the man refused. He identified himself as Michael Salzman from Alaska and explained that giving up his seat was his way of saying thank you to those who serve.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter
- Officer makes history as NYPD's first female counter-sniper