Video: Ga. cops rescue man from blaze after pursuit, crash
A suspected car thief was rescued by Georgia officers after the vehicle he was driving caught on fire during a pursuit
By PoliceOne Staff
BROOKHAVEN, Ga. — A suspected car thief was rescued by Georgia officers after the vehicle he was driving caught on fire during a police pursuit.
According to NBC 11, suspect Donald Jason Miles led police on a pursuit after officers attempted to pull him over for operating a vehicle with stolen plates.
Three miles into the pursuit, Miles wrapped the vehicle around a utility pole.
Officers pulled the trapped suspect out as smoke and fire began to rise from the vehicle.
As seen in the video, the car becomes engulfed in flames shortly after the rescue.
A small dog accompanying the suspect was also saved from the blaze.
"I think when you see the video that there's no question he [Miles] was probably about 60 seconds from burning up in that car," Deputy Chief Ron Freeman said.
Miles was charged with theft, fleeing and eluding police, and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, according to the report.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman