Capabilities of ARA Pointman Tactical Robot Tested for Austin, Texas Use
The Applied Research Associates, Inc. (ARA) Pointman Tactical Robot was tested by police in Texas for possible deployment in Austin. The robot climbs and descends stairs, pushes doors open and is so rugged it can be thrown through a window. The robot has two cameras, the operator can monitor the live video, and it would be an asset for patrol officers. Departments would be able to send the robot into potentially dangerous areas before sending in an officer, which would eliminate the cost and time that calling SWAT requires.
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds