Colo. deputy shot and killed in high-speed chase
The pursuit at times exceeded 100 miles per hour before stop sticks were deployed
Duty Death: Sam Brownlee - [Weld County Sheriff's Office, Colorado]
By PoliceOne Staff
WELD COUNTY, Colo — Deputy Sam Brownlee was shot and killed while attempting to capture a suspect following a high-speed chase.
A deputy from neighboring Morgan County and a Wiggins police officer attempted to stop the suspect after identifying the suspect's vehicle in relation to an earlier domestic violence case. The suspect refused to yield and led officers from multiple agencies on a high-speed case across Morgan and Weld counties.
The pursuit at times exceeded 100 miles per hour before stop sticks were deployed, successfully disabling the vehicle in a residential area of Evans. Deputy Brownlee pursued the suspect on foot before both were shot in an exchange of gunfire.
Deputy Brownlee had served with the Weld County Sheriff's Office for five years. He is survived by his wife.
Read more on ODMP.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police