Iowa deputy killed questioning subject
The killer remained barricaded in his home for three hours before exiting with a firearm and being fatally shot by SWAT
Duty Death: Deputy Sheriff Eric Stein - [Keokuk County Sheriff's Office, Iowa]
By PoliceOne Staff
KEOKUK COUNTY, Iowa — Deputy Eric Stein was shot and killed as he, the county sheriff, and another deputy attempted to question a man regarding an incident that had occurred the previous night.
The three officers had gone to the man's rural home shortly before noon when they were fired upon. Deputy Stein was struck by the shots and fatally wounded. The sheriff and other deputy took cover and called for assistance.
The subject remained barricaded in his home for about three hours before coming outside with a firearm. He was killed by an Iowa State Patrol tactical unit.
Deputy Stein had served with the Keokuk County Sheriff's Office for 11 years. He is survived by his 9-year-old daughter, sister, and father.
Read more on ODMP.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests