Iowa deputy killed questioning subject
The killer remained barricaded in his home for three hours before exiting with a firearm and being fatally shot by SWAT
Duty Death: Deputy Sheriff Eric Stein - [Keokuk County Sheriff's Office, Iowa]
By PoliceOne Staff
KEOKUK COUNTY, Iowa — Deputy Eric Stein was shot and killed as he, the county sheriff, and another deputy attempted to question a man regarding an incident that had occurred the previous night.
The three officers had gone to the man's rural home shortly before noon when they were fired upon. Deputy Stein was struck by the shots and fatally wounded. The sheriff and other deputy took cover and called for assistance.
The subject remained barricaded in his home for about three hours before coming outside with a firearm. He was killed by an Iowa State Patrol tactical unit.
Deputy Stein had served with the Keokuk County Sheriff's Office for 11 years. He is survived by his 9-year-old daughter, sister, and father.
Read more on ODMP.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform