Cop killer's release rekindles anguish in Ind.
The murder of a beloved officer brought fear, violence and upon killer's release, loss of faith in the criminal justice system
Fort Wayne Journal Gazette
AVILLA, Ind. — Mention the killing to the bar patrons at Hey's Tap on Albion Street and the memories come flowing — still fresh, still vivid and still colorful, as if nearly three decades hadn't passed at all.
Memories of roadblocks stopping every car coming in and out of town, door-to-door searches and uniformed police officers with a few FBI agents crawling over every block.
Memories, too, of men being brought to the police station to be questioned, only to be let go once a woman who peaked outside the door shook her head "no" to officers.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Cop killer's release rekindles anguish in Ind.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy