Woman tried selling children to make boyfriend's bail
She offered $4K for the two so she could bail her boyfriend out of jail; an acquaintance warned police
SALLISAW, Okla. — An Oklahoma woman accused of offering her children for sale to raise money to bail her boyfriend out of jail has pleaded not guilty to child trafficking charges.
Online court records show 22-year-old Misty VanHorn pleaded not guilty Wednesday in Sequoyah County District Court and applied for a court-appointed attorney.
VanHorn was arrested earlier this month after an acquaintance in Fort Smith, Ark., told police that VanHorn contacted her in an effort to sell her 2-year-old and 10-month-old children to raise the bail for her boyfriend. Investigators say VanHorn was asking for $4,000 for the two children.
VanHorn remains in the Sequoyah County Jail on $40,000 bond.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Va. sheriff’s office forced to remove 'blessed are the peacemakers' decals
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert