Ala. K-9 killed during shootout
K-9 Tracker was killed while pursuing 50-year-old Billy Wayne Lomaneck
By PoliceOne Staff
DALE COUNTY, Ala. — A K-9 was killed by a suspect in a shootout with police Monday.
According to WSFA, K-9 Tracker was killed while pursuing 50-year-old Billy Wayne Lomaneck. How he was killed was not immediately clear.
The Dothan Eagle reports police were searching for Lomaneck on charges of first-degree rape and incest of a child.
Officers had been looking for Lomaneck since Thursday when he was spotted running in a field Monday evening.
Four deputies opened fire, wounding Lomaneck, but not before K-9 Tracker was killed.
Lomaneck had left a note at his home telling police he would die before going back to prison. He was convicted previously of third-degree burglary.
Lomaneck was transferred to a local hospital where he is being treated for his injuries. No other officers were hurt in the incident.
Dale County Sheriff Wally Olson said he plans to ask the district attorney to look into prosecuting Lomaneck for the death of the K-9.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help