Toy gun causes 4-school lockdown in Mass.
The Associated Press
HOLYOKE, Mass. — A grade-school student who took an Uzi-styled water gun to school for field day triggered a complete lockdown of four schools in Holyoke.
Since the students were walking to 1 of 4 schools, all the facilities were locked down while authorities searched for the weapon.
The Republican newspaper in Springfield reports that the water gun was found in a backpack at the Morgan Elementary School.
School Superintendent Eduardo Carballo said it belonged to a student who thought the water gun would be fun to have on field day.
Carballo said police and school officials followed protocol in locking down the schools while searching for what they believed was a genuine threat.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- AG Lynch: US must hold police accountable
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help