Mich. officer hit in crash caused by text-messaging driver
ALLEN PARK, Mich.- A suburban Detroit police officer was injured in an accident caused by a teenage motorist sending a text message on his cell phone.
Michigan State Police said a 17-year-old male driver hit the rear of an Allen Park police car, which was policing an earlier crash Sunday afternoon.
The crash caused the police car to spin around and hit the officer, who was thrown into the air on an Interstate 94 ramp.
The teenage driver, who told police he was text-messaging on his cell phone when he hit the police car, suffered minor injuries. He was treated and released from Oakwood Hospital in Dearborn.
The officer, who was listed in stable condition, was being treated at Detroit Receiving Hospital.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Milwaukee Sheriff Clarke takes job with Homeland Security
- Video: Deputy shoots armed man who charged at him during traffic stop
- Judge haunted by release of man in deadly Ohio shootings
- Off-duty cop helps detain man who tried to break cockpit door mid-flight
- Grand jury doesn't indict Ohio officer for fatally shooting teen