1 dead, 3 injured in Seattle university shooting
Seattle police say a student disarmed a lone gunman who entered a building and opened fire
By Manuel Valdes and Phuong Le
SEATTLE — Seattle police say a Seattle Pacific University student on Thursday disarmed a lone gunman who entered a building and shot three people.
A hospital spokeswoman says one man has died and three other people are injured, one critically.
Police say the student building monitor disarmed the gunman as he was reloading. Several police officers held the gunman down after he was disarmed.
Police say the gunman is under arrest. The Otto Miller building where the afternoon shooting took place has been secured.
Harborview Medical Center spokeswoman Susan Gregg says a man in his 20s has died and a critically injured 20-year-old woman has been taken to surgery. Gregg says a 24-year-old man and a 22-year-old man are in satisfactory condition.
Gregg says the hospital is not expecting any more injured people from the shooting.
About 4,270 students attend the private Christian university, located in a residential neighborhood about 10 minutes from downtown Seattle.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help