Coach Shot at East Texas High School
Gary Joe Kinne, who is also the Canton High School athletic director, was shot at least once and airlifted to a hospital in nearby Tyler, Don Martin, spokesman for the Tyler Police Department, told The Tyler Morning Telegraph.
Information on Kinne's condition was being withheld at the request of Canton police, said John Moore, spokesman for Trinity Mother Frances Health System in Tyler.
The suspect was identified as Jeffrey Doyle Robertson, 44, said Jasmine Andresen, a trooper with the Texas Department of Public Safety. They were seeking a black Dodge pickup, and law enforcement agents were pursuing, Andresen said.
She had no information on the suspect's relationship to the school or the coach.
Kinne reportedly was shot at the school's athletic field house. Canton is about 60 miles east of Dallas.
School superintendent Larry Davis was on the campus, his office said.
Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help